Re: [XP] How do you eat an elephant?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2004
      Keith Ray wrote:

      >>>The system is so large that people cannot believe in that we cannot
      >>>begin coding before designing all the system. (We cannot afford big
      >>>refactorings during the project, to minimize this, all the system
      >>>should be designed at the beginning.)
      >
      > This says to me "we don't have slack in the schedule to rethink the
      > design after we've learned what doesn't work." That's bad.

      Keith understates it considerably.

      If your project is scheduled in such a way that you have to get each
      thing right the first time, then I strongly suggest you run away,
      screaming. I would. You're doomed.

      This is a case where prioritization is the only thing to save you, short
      of a miracle. Your stakeholders must split the features in half: the
      half they need and the half they want. If they can't be happy getting
      half the features, then you can't make them happy at all. Save your
      sanity and don't try.

      I know this is harsh, but in that situation I have told a client, "Look,
      if you can find someone else to do all this stuff in the time you've
      specified, then hire them and not me. I can do X in that time, so if
      that's not good enough for you, then neither am I." All of a sudden, the
      conversation changed: "Well, we can do without 1, 2 and 3...." and
      within two hours we had a workable schedule and I had work to do. It
      went well.
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services