Re: [XP] Re: DSDM is Agile

    Message 1 of 22 , May 1 3:47 AM
      On Saturday, May 1, 2004, at 5:43:26 AM, rachelclairedavies wrote:

      > I would like to fill in some more background info because I feel
      > that, as I provided advice on XP to the DSDM consortium for DSDM
      > v4.2 in 2002/2003, I am implicated in the choice of Enterprise XP
      > name. During this time I was bound by a non-disclosure agreement so
      > I could not discuss freely on this list. At this time another XP
      > advisor on DSDM v4.2, Sean Hanly, expressed within the review
      > group "I personally am uncomfortable with EnterpriseXP tag and would
      > prefer that we disassociate the 4.2 work and EnterpriseXP." I think
      > this was the general view taken by all XP practitioners who worked
      > on v4.2 but DSDM consortium went ahead with the name anyhow.
      > To reiterate previous mails, I have used some DSDM techniques in
      > conjuntion with XP and believe that we have things to learn from
      > each other but do not like "EnterpriseXP" branding.

      Have any of the people who are actually behind "EnterpriseXP" ever done
      "pure" XP? I am wondering at least two things: how do they know it needs
      something, and how are they qualified to advise on when and how to add
      things?

      When all ideas of [XP] is and [XP] is not have been extinguished,
      then [XP] reality will manifest itself. -- Thich Nhat Hanh [Ron Jeffries]
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1 6:47 AM
        Using a non-disclosure agreement to inhibit communication would seem to be a first-order violation of the agile manifesto ("collaboration over contract negotiation"). Making methodologies proprietary is no way to facilitate learning from each other.

        On Saturday, May 1, 2004, at 5:43:26 AM, rachelclairedavies wrote:

        > I would like to fill in some more background info because I feel
        > that, as I provided advice on XP to the DSDM consortium for DSDM
        > v4.2 in 2002/2003, I am implicated in the choice of Enterprise XP
        > name. During this time I was bound by a non-disclosure agreement so
        > I could not discuss freely on this list. At this time another XP
        > advisor on DSDM v4.2, Sean Hanly, expressed within the review
        > group "I personally am uncomfortable with EnterpriseXP tag and would
        > prefer that we disassociate the 4.2 work and EnterpriseXP." I think
        > this was the general view taken by all XP practitioners who worked
        > on v4.2 but DSDM consortium went ahead with the name anyhow.
        > To reiterate previous mails, I have used some DSDM techniques in
        > conjuntion with XP and believe that we have things to learn from
        > each other but do not like "EnterpriseXP" branding.

      • rachelclairedavies
        Message 3 of 22 , May 1 7:08 AM
          This is hard to answer as the full list of names behind Enterprise
          XP is not in the public domain.
          To the best of my knowledge none of the DSDM consortium members that
          are behind the use of the "EnterpriseXP" name (Barry Fazackerly et
          al) have tried XP on a real project as software developers as they
          work more in the realm of project management.
          Rachel

          <jeffries@d...> wrote:
          > Have any of the people who are actually behind "EnterpriseXP" ever
          done
          > "pure" XP? I am wondering at least two things: how do they know it
          needs
          > something, and how are they qualified to advise on when and how to
          add
          > things?
          >
          > Ron Jeffries
          > www.XProgramming.com
          > When all ideas of [XP] is and [XP] is not have been extinguished,
          > then [XP] reality will manifest itself. -- Thich Nhat Hanh [Ron
          Jeffries]
        • Jeff Grigg
          Message 4 of 22 , May 1 9:04 AM
            --- "rachelclairedavies" <rachel.davies@t...> wrote:
            > To the best of my knowledge none of the DSDM consortium
            > members that are behind the use of the "EnterpriseXP"
            > name (Barry Fazackerly et al) have tried XP on a real
            > project as software developers as they work more in the
            > realm of project management.

            Well, as project managers I think they would have been in an
            excellent position to adopt XP as their project's approach.

            So if they have not managed XP projects, how would they know what
            about XP was missing or unnecessary?
          • Chris Hanson
            Message 5 of 22 , May 1 10:57 PM
              On May 1, 2004, at 7:08 AM, rachelclairedavies wrote:
              > To the best of my knowledge none of the DSDM consortium members that
              > are behind the use of the "EnterpriseXP" name (Barry Fazackerly et
              > al) have tried XP on a real project as software developers as they
              > work more in the realm of project management.

              What qualifies them then to work on the specifics of software
              development methodology?

              -- Chris

              --
              Chris Hanson <cmh@...>