CFP: Systems Thinking Workshop @ XP2004

  • Marc Evers
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2004
      Call for participation - Systems Thinking Workshop

      An XP2004 workshop about systems thinking, a methodology-independent
      tool to adapt and improve agile software development and software
      project management.

      Monday June 7, 2004
      Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
      Part of the XP2004 conference - http://www.xp2004.org

      * Abstract

      In our work as software development coaches, we have noticed that
      introducing Extreme Programming in an organisation helps to solve a
      number of problems, but also creates entirely new ones – XP changes
      the organisation’s system. We have run into questions like: why can't
      the customer keep up with the programming team and what can be done
      about it? How can we get a team to start unit testing? Is the lack of
      unit testing really the team’s biggest problem? What are the
      underlying dynamics of adding people to a project and how can these be
      used to increase project velocity?

      We have found that systems thinking is a simple but powerful technique
      for finding answers to these questions. Systems thinking has been
      applied successfully by different organisations like Shell and Intel
      and it is applied more and more within the context of agile software
      development. The goal of this workshop is to apply and evaluate
      systems thinking as a methodology-independent tool for understanding
      and influencing the dynamics of software development projects, teams,
      and organisations.

      * Objectives

      In this workshop, participants apply systems thinking to their own
      stories and practice through:
      - creating diagrams of effects of situations in projects, teams, and
      organisations;
      - identifying nonlinear effects, self-reinforcing loops, and possible
      interventions based on system models;
      - investigating the limits and subjective aspects of systems thinking.

      * More information

      The number of participants for this workshop is limited to 20 on a
      first come, first served basis. If you want to participate, please
      send us (by e-mail) a story or situation from their practice that
      you'd like to discuss in the workshop. Also indicate your expectations
      of the workshop.

      The full description of the workshop can be found at:
      http://www.xp2004.de/xp2004/workshops/w05.pdf

      * Organizers

      Marc Evers (NIWI-KNAW)
      marc.evers@...