Re: [XP] the 3 levels of learning and "xp being hard"

  • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2004
      On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 19:11, Forrest Chang wrote:
      > HI All:
      >
      > If I recall correctly from Allistair Cockburn's
      > Crystal Clear Book, he says that for Crystal Clear to
      > work there has to be at least 1 level 3 (3 levels of
      > learning recently mentioned on the list) person,
      > usually is a second strong person. Allistair also
      > pointed out that In the "Balancing Agility and
      > Discipline" book they had some parameter based on the
      > skill level, which impacted what methodology to
      > recommmend (i.e. the more skillful, the more agile you
      > could be).
      >

      > That being said, level 3 folks, will be able 1) to
      > accept that XP works 2) pick up the practices either
      > because of ability, or the fact that they were
      > probably doing similar sorts of things before finding
      > out about XP, much more easily than others.

      I found XP quite easy to pick up, and I was doing many of its
      practices already. I had picked them up on various other projects - even
      the test-first idea. This prior experience was a big factor for me. I
      didn't feel that I was turning my fate over to a methodology, but rather
      I was just adding a few more good ideas to my bag of tricks. The latter
      is far more empowering.

      > Ultimately, I think XP, like Crystal Clear, could
      > not be adopted w/o at least 1 level 3 person,
      > perferabbly some level 2's, and I might guess that
      > some attempts to do so do not have these.

      I guess I'd have to say I was a "level 3" XP-er. I was able to
      introduce XP successfully to my team and management. It took a lot of
      negotiation and patience, but there was a big payoff. I think your
      observation is correct.

      > Wow, that was rambling. I hope it made some sense.

      Yeah - it did:-)

      Nancy Van Schooenderwoert Agile Rules
      nancyv@... http://www.agilerules.com