Re: Hard practices or hard principles? (was RE: [XP] Re: Subsets of XP)

  • Douglas Philips
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 29, 2004
      On Thursday, April 29, 2004, at 08:45AM, Peter Hansen <peter@...> indited:
      >Jim Shore [mailto:jshore@...] wrote:
      >> I've coached all sorts of teams in switching to XP [...]
      >> Different ones have found different parts of
      >> XP hard, but there have been some trends:
      >> * Getting a knowledgable, empowered customer (team) on-site is hard.
      >
      >Courage is hard. Takes Courage to fight for a good customer.
      >Also takes very good Communication, to explain convincingly
      >why such a person is needed, why they need to be on-site and
      >on the team.

      Yes, and very good communication is harder when the speaker "gets it" and needs to articulate that feeling to someone who doesn't "get it".... Its not a matter of "here is what XP is" but "this is why it works/is better"... Addressing risk, etc. Reminds me of something that my shrink once told me, when I was 'reluctant' to try a new behaviour/reaction: "You don't have to do it forever, just try it. If you really don't like it, go back to your old way." That's hard enough when its just you, but when there are (or are perceived to be) incomes and livelihoods on the line...

      <D\'gou
    • Victor Goldberg, Ph.D.
      Message 57 of 57 , May 13, 2004
        Yes, I am very impressed with him.