Re: Subsets of XP

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 28, 2004
      Hi Jim,

      I appreciate your reports from the front lines.

      > * Release planning is hard. Not sure why... it just seems to
      > slip through the cracks.

      What's the hard part? Getting people into the room, or making
      the planning process work once everyone is there?

      > * Teaching management about people-oriented vs.
      > process-oriented can be very hard.

      My approach (which works often but not always) is to trace each
      element of the process to a person who benefits from that
      element, someone whose job (or life) is in some way better
      because of that element. Usually after you trace a few elements
      to the people who benefit by them, the pattern becomes clear:
      the purpose of process is to serve people.

      Still, people sometimes don't want to make the leap to my
      conclusion: Therefore, focus on people, and use process as a
      means to that end, not an end in itself.

      > * Keeping the overall architectural healthy while doing
      > continuous design can be hard. Sometimes people focus on
      > micro-design and forget about macro design.

      I've come to have faith that attending to the micro design
      produces a good macro design. I do retain some skepticism
      because my experience is limited, and because I don't /how/ know
      it works, /how/ the principles of simplicity (necessarily?)
      generate beautiful macro designs.

      I do have a theory, though: Every pattern or principle of good
      macro design is made up entirely of multiple applications of the
      principles of simplicity. I'm not sure how to test that, though
      I once had this idea: We can think of refactorings as statements
      in a kind of progamming language. The steps we take when we
      refactor toward a design pattern (or when we do any other
      multi-refactoring operation, for that matter) constitute a
      function written in that language. I started to play with that,
      but didn't follow through.

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery -- Consultant -- Resistance as a Resource
      Web: http://www.dhemery.com

      The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination.
      Unfortunately, the combination is locked up inside the safe.
      --Peter de Vries
    • Victor Goldberg, Ph.D.
      Message 57 of 57 , May 13, 2004
        Yes, I am very impressed with him.