Re: [XP] Re: Subsets of XP

  • Jim Shore
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 28 9:54 PM
      Peter Hansen wrote:

      >>XP is hard. Change is hard. Spreading it out over time makes it all
      >>much harder.
      >>

      >I have to agree with John Roth that XP is NOT hard. Some people
      >make it seem hard. Some people think that it's hard -- perhaps
      >they aren't doing it right?

      I've coached all sorts of teams in switching to XP, working with them
      intensively over several months each time. I've learned a lot from that
      experience, and I still have lots more to learn. Different ones have
      found different parts of XP hard, but there have been some trends:

      * Reconfiguring furniture is often hard... this surprised me.
      * Getting a knowledgable, empowered customer (team) on-site is hard.
      * Refactoring mercilessly is hard. At least, the "mercilessly" part is
      hard.
      * Unit testing is hard. Many teams have trouble testing at the
      interfaces of their system: the UI and the database.
      * Storytesting (aka acceptance testing) is hard. Many XP teams don't
      have their customer write the tests. Some don't do customer-defined
      acceptance tests. Some don't do acceptance tests at all.
      * Doing all of the practices all of the time takes a lot of
      self-discipline. That's hard.
      * Release planning is hard. Not sure why... it just seems to slip
      through the cracks.
      * Teaching management about people-oriented vs. process-oriented can be
      very hard.
      * Having the courage to trust continuous design is very hard when all
      your experience and training tells you that your inevitable problems
      could have been avoided "if you had just designed it right the first time."
      * Keeping the overall architectural healthy while doing continuous
      design can be hard. Sometimes people focus on micro-design and forget
      about macro design.
      * Some people have their sense of self-worth tied up in being "the
      expert" on a particular piece of code or "the hero" who always works
      late and saves the project. Giving this up in favor of a team-oriented
      approach can be hard.

      >Change is also easy, if you follow the XP principles.

      Change is easy for some people. It's emotionally disruptive for
      others. For those people, one big change is easier than ongoing little
      changes. See
      http://www.stevenmsmith.com/articles/satir_change_model.htm for a
      classic description of the emotional impact of change.

      >If you disagree about adopting practices one at a time being
      >hard, please describe when you tried that and what you found
      >to be a problem. My team had great success with it without
      >finding it hard at all.

      I'm glad you're having success! I agree that adopting practices one at
      a time can work for some teams. I'm much more careful of that scenario,
      though, and I see adopting all of XP as safer. If the team can't adopt
      XP all at once, I see it as a warning sign to look for deeper problems.

      Jim

      --
      Jim Shore
      Titanium I.T. LLC - Making IT Profitable

      phone: 503-267-5490
      email: jshore@...
    • Victor Goldberg, Ph.D.
      Message 57 of 57 , May 13, 2004