Re: [XP] Re: Subsets of XP

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 28, 2004
      From: "Jim Shore" <jshore.at.titanium-it.com@...>
      To: "extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 6:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [XP] Re: Subsets of XP

      > Peter Hansen wrote:
      >
      > >A team that is capable of handling XP can adopt the XP practices
      > >one-by-one (or sometimes two at a time perhaps), without danger.
      > >[...] I don't see the big
      > >deal with not having certain practices on board at a certain
      > >stage of the conversion. *It's still better than the typical
      > >alternative."
      > >

      > Q: What's the difference between a team that fails due to no development
      > process and a team that fails due to incomplete XP process?
      >
      > A: In the second case, it's your fault.
      >
      > XP is hard. Change is hard. Spreading it out over time makes it all
      > much harder.

      I'd like to disagree that XP is hard. Learning XP when you've
      got many years of builtup experiance with other ways of doing
      things can be very difficult, and some environments make doing
      XP more difficult than necessary, but XP itself isn't hard.

      What's hard is maintaining your motivation when you've got a
      pile of untested code, a design that doesn't make sense and
      requirements that are out of date, incomplete, inconsistent
      and vague.

      John Roth

      > Jim
      > .