Re: [XP] Subsets of XP

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 28, 2004
      Steven J. Owens wrote:

      > On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 02:57:28PM -0400, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      >
      >> Iteration Planning is dangerous without Release Planning.
      >

      > This comment made my antennae twitch, since we're in the early
      > stage of introducing these, and I think my colleagues "get it" for
      > iteration planning, but I'm less sure about release planning.
      >
      > Can you expand on this with some specific examples of what might
      > go wrong, what to watch out for etc?

      An iteration is a closed unit of work, meaning that once it starts, the
      goals of an iteration ought not to change. Without a release plan, the
      customer will not be confident that, within 16 iterations, he will get
      what he needs. This makes him jumpy and he might start panicking, trying
      to pushing everything into a single iteration, pushing you to slip the
      date to get more stuff in. That way be dragons.

      Without a release plan to calm him down, the customer won't let the team
      work on each iteration as it comes, which defeats the purpose of an
      iteration.
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services