Re: Subsets of XP

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 27, 2004
      Peter Hansen wrote:

      > Alex Pukinskis wrote:

      > > There's been talk on this list in the past about
      > > "incrementally"
      > > adopting XP. Some have argued that it's
      dangerous
      > > to do a subset of
      > > the practices.
      >
      > "Dangerous" in what way, and relative to what?

      If I were applying for a coach position, I'd pick the
      team that had declared they would adopt all of XP. I
      don't want to gamble on whether the practices a team
      missed are the ones I diagnose they need.

      But if I were already on a team, then attend to the
      "driving at night" metaphor:

      A process becomes Agile when the rate that feedback
      collects information about the current position
      exceeds the rate that developers change that position.

      At night, a car's headlights should illuminate things
      farther away than the driver's reaction time and safe
      turning radius.

      To lower the cost of change (and reduce that reaction
      time) Agile projects automatically test everything
      relevant to a module after the fewest possible
      edits; say 10 at the most. Only perform the kinds of
      edits that immediately return the project to a useful
      state.

      To lower the odds of re-working a module (and to boost
      those headlights), frequently release working versions
      to end-users. But don't release bugs. Relentless
      testing trades long hours running a debugger for short
      minutes writing tests.

      If you depart from your traditional process's
      balances, or if you depart from XP's balances, then
      you risk either dimming the headlights, or introducing
      "play" into the steering wheel.

      =====
      Phlip

    • Victor Goldberg, Ph.D.