Re: [XP] Subsets of XP

    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 27, 2004
      On Tuesday, April 27, 2004, at 1:08:51 PM, Alex Pukinskis wrote:

      > Ron's circle diagram (http://www.xprogramming.com/images/circles.jpg)
      > got me thinking that you can really divide the practices into two
      > groups:

      > The Planning Game
      > Small Releases
      > On-Site Customer
      > Continuous Integration
      > Metaphor
      > Sustainable Pace
      > Collective Ownership
      > Coding Standards

      > Pair Programming
      > Test-Driven Development
      > Simple Design
      > Merciless Refactoring

      The reason there are three circles in the diagram is that I think there are
      three groups.

      Customer or business practices: Whole team, planning game, small
      releases, customer acceptance tests;

      Programming cycle practices: Simple design, pair programming, TDD,
      refactoring;

      Support practices: Continuous integration, coding standard, team code
      ownership, sustainable pace, metaphor.

      In the irritatingly good book /Extreme Programming Pocket Guide/, chromatic
      breaks the 12 out this way:

      Coding practices: Simple design, refactoring, coding standards, metaphor;

      Developer practices: TDD, pair programming, team code ownership,
      continuous integration;

      Business practices: On-site customer, planning game, small releases,
      sustainable pace.

      The canonical "agile" set, I've suggested elsewhere, are Whole Team, and
      Small Releases. Everything follows from there.

      In fact, everything in XP follows from just one practice: Small Releases. I
      have an article in the works on that topic, and folks who subject
      themselves to talks from Chet and me in the near future will be seeing a
      preview of that article.

      Now as to subsets:

      I think you can start with simple design, TDD, and refactoring. But if
      you do refactoring, you really need to do team code ownership, because
      otherwise most of the refactorings are out of your scope. If you're going
      to do team code ownership, then you need to do pair programming, so
      you'll be up to speed on the code you're refactoring. I think the
      resulting set: simple design, pair programming, TDD, refactoring, team
      code ownership is minimal in the sense that dropping any one of those is
      "dangerous".

      I think you can start with Small Releases, and invent the rest. You'll
      invent Whole Team because you can't wait for email and documents. You'll
      invent the planning game to find out what to do and when you might be
      done. You'll invent customer tests to improve communication, and to
      support the change that goes with small releases. Therefore the Circle of
      Life, Whole Team, Planning Game, Small Releases, Customer Tests, is an
      early stable point, and nearly minimal.

      And so on ...

      FEAR = Fantasy Experienced As Reality
    • Victor Goldberg, Ph.D.