RE: [XP] Subsets of XP

  • Peter Hansen
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 27, 2004
      Alex Pukinskis [mailto:alex.lists@...] wrote:
      > There's been talk on this list in the past about "incrementally"
      > adopting XP. Some have argued that it's dangerous to do a subset of
      > the practices.

      "Dangerous" in what way, and relative to what? We found not
      doing XP at all dangerous, and incremental adoption was the only
      option available, so I find it surprising that it would be called
      "dangerous". Imperfect, perhaps, or unfortunate, but not dangerous.

      > Ron's circle diagram (http://www.xprogramming.com/images/circles.jpg)
      > got me thinking that you can really divide the practices into two
      > groups:
      > The Planning Game, Small Releases, On-Site Customer, Continuous
      > Metaphor, Sustainable Pace, Collective Ownership, Coding Standards
      > Pair Programming
      > Test-Driven Development
      > Simple Design
      > Merciless Refactoring
      > I think (based on some experience) that you can safely start
      > with the first group, or some of the parts of the first
      > group, without doing the practices in the second group.
      > The final 4 practices are the risky ones; employing any one
      > of those without the safety net of the others can be
      > dangerous.

      I have to disagree! Pair programming can quite safely stand
      alone. So, I believe, can test-driven development, although
      I would say that Refactoring must be considered *part* of
      that as, for that matter, Simple Design should be in an
      emergent fashion.

      In fact, perhaps contrary to what some others have said (I
      wasn't paying attention, I guess), I believe that almost
      any subset of the practices is still better than what most
      development groups extent in the world today are doing.
      In this sense, XP is in my experience almost about looking
      at every single real-world situation in "typical" (crappy)
      software teams and saying "do the opposite".

      In short, I found incremental adoption to be a very helpful
      and encouraging approach to going XP and I might even argue
      that instant adoption of full XP is for many teams the worst
      thing they could do. It wouldn't provide the opportunity
      for frequent feedback, for one thing. It takes time to learn
      ("practice" being a better word perhaps) and especially in
      a group that has to keep releasing stuff during the learning
      curve, incremental is the way to go.

    • Victor Goldberg, Ph.D.
      Message 57 of 57 , May 13, 2004
        Yes, I am very impressed with him.