Subsets of XP

  • Alex Pukinskis
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 27, 2004
      There's been talk on this list in the past about "incrementally"
      adopting XP. Some have argued that it's dangerous to do a subset of
      the practices.

      Ron's circle diagram (http://www.xprogramming.com/images/circles.jpg)
      got me thinking that you can really divide the practices into two
      groups:

      The Planning Game
      Small Releases
      On-Site Customer
      Continuous Integration
      Metaphor
      Sustainable Pace
      Collective Ownership
      Coding Standards

      Pair Programming
      Test-Driven Development
      Simple Design
      Merciless Refactoring

      I think (based on some experience) that you can safely start with the
      first group, or some of the parts of the first group, without doing
      the practices in the second group. (Obviously you'll go much faster if
      you do all 12.) There are some dependencies in the first group; for
      example, the Planning Game requires Small Releases and an Accessible
      Customer. Otherwise you end up with stories that are never completed,
      and programmers fleshing out the details on their own. But you can do
      just those three practices and get a benefit.

      The final 4 practices are the risky ones; employing any one of those
      without the safety net of the others can be dangerous. Simple design
      without refactoring, refactoring without pairing and testing -- all can
      cause horrible messes. Can you do these four without the first 8? In
      some cases, you probably could - I imagine a pair doing TDD, simple
      design, and merciless refactoring could make short work of a set of
      IEE-830 requirements.

      -Alex
    • Victor Goldberg, Ph.D.
      Message 57 of 57 , May 13 6:32 AM