RE: [XP] The Cost of Change Curve - XP vs other factors

  • Alleman, Glen B.
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 2, 2004
      Ron,

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Ron Jeffries [mailto:ronjeffries@...]
      On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 4:55:58 PM, Alleman, Glen B. wrote:

> [...]

      Well, maybe not, Glen. Do the math. If you need 250 developers, but they
      aren't very competent, how many developers do you need if they are all
      competent? 25? Maybe you could hire 25 ...

      [GBA] Where I've been the assumption has always been that "all" the
      people coming through door are competent (in some way) other wise we
      wouldn't have hired them. The true that is ignored is these assumptions
      come with a cost - training, mentoring, processes, tools, coaches, etc
      etc etc are not budgeted on the contract...

      [GBA] For the program with 250, that estimate was derived from the
      requirements not from the developers, so there's a problem to start
      with. These are large (>$500M) acquisition and development programs so
      there not common in the commercial let alone XP world.

      > Another case (we've experienced here) is very competent developers
      move
      > from one technology to another - VB to .NET. The development
      methodology
      > adds little to gap in knowledge and experience. In fact agile
      processes
      > "may" impact the learning curve, since the core documents of the
      system
      > - architecture, process flow, UML are missing. Yes they can be had by
      > reading the code and paring, but that burns billable hours with no
      BCWP.

      I don't understand this, please explain.

      [GBA] If I have documents in some usable form that convey the
      architecture, major workflows, taxonomy of the code, and the like. Then
      the new developer can read these, work through the structure in the
      absence of a pair'd friend or the real code. That time can be charged to
      non-productive startup costs. If I have to absorb another developer to
      do this then both developers charge to non-productive numbers lowering
      the BCWP.

      [GBA] For government and larger projects, cost accounting impacts the
      development process. This is not normal for the small internal or
      possibly even product based development I know. But much of the code
      developed on someone elses money usually comes with an attached auditor
      and project accounting person.

      Ron

      Glen B. Alleman
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2004
        On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 9:55:42 PM, Kay Pentecost wrote:

        > I haven't gotten a really good answer yet... Except for some qualities that
        > Ron Jeffries listed a while ago... which provide a good starting point.
        > Maybe Ron would list them again. I have them printed out on several pieces
        > of paper so I come across them when I'm looking for something else... but I
        > don't know where they are now.

        No clue what you're referring to. I can search if you can give me more
        context ...

        Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
        pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
        -- Samuel Johnson