[XP] Re: Simplest Possible Process - adaptable

  • Jeff Grigg
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004

      --- PaulOldfield1@c... wrote:
      > I'll give him full marks for making the obvious obvious.
      > Paul Oldfield

      Will: "This is either madness or brilliance."
      Jack: "It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide."
      -- RJ (...and some characters in some movie. ;-)
    • Karl Scotland
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
        > From: kentlbeck [mailto:kentbeck@...]
        >
        > Anyone can claim to be extreme. Making that claim opens you to
        > scrutiny by any interested party. There are benefits and risks to
        > making that claim. The people who have claimed to be extreme but
        > weren't have been refuted and have suffered the consequences. The
        > people who are extreme and are open about it have gained the
        > benefits of using XP and the respect of the community.

        I've always been reluctant to claim that we "do XP". We don't unit test
        ALL our code - its difficult in some of the languages we use. We don't
        have any automated acceptance tests - its difficult with our technology.
        I still recognise them as good things, and I certainly wish we could do
        them more.

        I prefer to say we are "inspired by XP and aspire to XP".

        Karl

        BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

        stated.
        BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
      • Peter Hansen
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
          Karl Scotland [mailto:karl.scotland@...] wrote:
          > I've always been reluctant to claim that we "do XP". We
          > don't unit test ALL our code - its difficult in some of the
          > languages we use.

          Would you mind identifying what those languages are? I find
          it a challenge, but one well worth facing, to try very creatively
          to find ways to unit test any language I have to use.

          > We don't have any automated acceptance
          > tests - its difficult with our technology.

          Same question as above. I've done a lot of work now in an
          area which I think many people would describe in the same
          manner -- embedded systems -- but we still found a way. What
          makes testing your technology so challenging?

          -Peter