RE: [XP] Re: Simplest Possible Process - adaptable

  • Alleman, Glen B.
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
      Kent,

      And what about us that use XP-inspired processes. Doing a subset of XP
      but reaping "some" benefits? The processes we don't use are not because
      we don't want to but for external constraint reasons. Where do those
      types of shops fit?

      Glen B. Alleman

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
        kentlbeck wrote:

        > Anyone can claim to be extreme. Making that claim opens you to
        > scrutiny by any interested party. There are benefits and risks to
        > making that claim. The people who have claimed to be extreme but
        > weren't have been refuted and have suffered the consequences. The
        > people who are extreme and are open about it have gained the
        > benefits of using XP and the respect of the community.

        Has anyone else noticed the way that Kent makes the obvious profound?
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
          (responding to J.B.)

          > Has anyone else noticed the way that Kent makes the
          > obvious profound?

          I'll give him full marks for making the obvious obvious.

          Paul Oldfield
        • Jeff Grigg
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004

            --- PaulOldfield1@c... wrote:
            > I'll give him full marks for making the obvious obvious.
            > Paul Oldfield

            Will: "This is either madness or brilliance."
            Jack: "It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide."
            -- RJ (...and some characters in some movie. ;-)
          • Karl Scotland
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
              > From: kentlbeck [mailto:kentbeck@...]
              >
              > Anyone can claim to be extreme. Making that claim opens you to
              > scrutiny by any interested party. There are benefits and risks to
              > making that claim. The people who have claimed to be extreme but
              > weren't have been refuted and have suffered the consequences. The
              > people who are extreme and are open about it have gained the
              > benefits of using XP and the respect of the community.

              I've always been reluctant to claim that we "do XP". We don't unit test
              ALL our code - its difficult in some of the languages we use. We don't
              have any automated acceptance tests - its difficult with our technology.
              I still recognise them as good things, and I certainly wish we could do
              them more.

              I prefer to say we are "inspired by XP and aspire to XP".

              Karl

              BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

              stated.
              BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
            • Peter Hansen
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                Karl Scotland [mailto:karl.scotland@...] wrote:
                > I've always been reluctant to claim that we "do XP". We
                > don't unit test ALL our code - its difficult in some of the
                > languages we use.

                Would you mind identifying what those languages are? I find
                it a challenge, but one well worth facing, to try very creatively
                to find ways to unit test any language I have to use.

                > We don't have any automated acceptance
                > tests - its difficult with our technology.

                Same question as above. I've done a lot of work now in an
                area which I think many people would describe in the same
                manner -- embedded systems -- but we still found a way. What
                makes testing your technology so challenging?

                -Peter