Re: [XP] The Cost of Change Curve

  • Paul Campbell
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1, 2004
      <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
      > On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 8:41:21 AM, yahoogroups@j... wrote:
      >
      > > The fact is that there are going to be architectural
      > > design decisions that will be difficult to change; this
      > > is where experiance comes into play, because a lot
      > > of them seem to be avoidable (or at least amenable
      > > to impact reduction) if you know the secrets of the
      > > masters. (I'm not a master, don't ask me for the
      > > secrets.)
      >
      > How do we know that this is a fact?

      We dont in absolute terms but is so closely approximates one that we
      take it as such. If your talking about "architectural" changes then
      its stuff like moving responsibilities for persisting information
      between subsystems, or adding (or removing or changing) entire
      processing tiers e.g. introducing/removing a layer of caching.

      There will always be potential changes that take a significant
      proportion of the effort of writing the entire system because they
      touch so much code. Now if you use the argument that "any change is
      easy no matter how sweeping because its just code and code is easy to
      change" then this argument must also apply proportionately to
      completely rewritting a system and/or developing one from scratch -
      and it patently isnt "easy" to develop a non-tricial system or we
      wouldnt all need be employed doing just that.

      Paul C.
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2004
        On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 9:55:42 PM, Kay Pentecost wrote:

        > I haven't gotten a really good answer yet... Except for some qualities that
        > Ron Jeffries listed a while ago... which provide a good starting point.
        > Maybe Ron would list them again. I have them printed out on several pieces
        > of paper so I come across them when I'm looking for something else... but I
        > don't know where they are now.

        No clue what you're referring to. I can search if you can give me more
        context ...

        Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
        pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
        -- Samuel Johnson