Re: [XP] eXtreme Collaboration

  • Adam Carter
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
      Ivan Tomek wrote:
      > Adam,
      >
      > Do you have any references related to the Queensland project?
      >
      > Ivan Tomek
      > School of Computer Science
      > Acadia University
      > Canada

      Currently it is just starting up, so there are lots of spikes, talking
      and a large design proposal. However, because it is an Undergraduate
      project all of the student sites are held behind firewalls :(

      It isn't all bad news, I can pass along contact information :)

      Adam
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        Brian Abbott wrote:

        > Interesting... Does anyone here currently use collaboration tools of any
        > kind or plan to use them in the future? And, how useful do you think
        > they could be?

        Wiki. Very useful when the customer can't be in the room.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
          I read this article and just had to laugh. So... we can pay millions of
          dollars to track everything people say to find out a piece of
          information that...

          we could just take 60 seconds and ASK the person!

          Of course, that would require trust and that generally requires a
          healthy environment, etc., etc.

          So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
          helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
          working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

          -joel

          Jeff Grigg wrote:
          > --- Brad Appleton <brad@b...> wrote:
          >
          >>This looks sort of interesting, and kinda scary ...
          >>"Reality Mining" the Organization
          >><http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_pentland033104.asp?
          >
          > trk=nl>
          >
          > That's just scary. Shades of 1984 and "Big Brother is Watching You."
          >
          >>From the article...
          > > Everyone would wear computers with voice recognition. And the
          > words you use, and who you use them around, would be reported to
          > management. "With speech recognition technology, we can generate
          > profiles of individuals based on the words they use in
          > conversations. These profiles help identify the people within an
          > organization who have particular expertise."
        • Kari Hoijarvi
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
            Groove is the best I know. Not open source, but cheap.

            Peer-to-peer, no server needed. Goes 2-way thru firewalls
            via port 80.

            I need collaboration tools two months a year, when my
            boss is across the ocean.

            Kari

            Interesting... Does anyone here currently use collaboration tools of any
            kind or plan to use them in the future? And, how useful do you think
            they could be?

            Thanks,

            Brian Abbott
          • J. B. Rainsberger
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
              Joel Shellman wrote:

              > So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
              > helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
              > working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

              ...and people wonder why I'm thinking of getting out. ("But you make
              good money!")
              --
              J. B. Rainsberger,
              Diaspar Software Services
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                On Saturday, April 3, 2004, at 11:28:54 AM, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

                >> So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
                >> helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
                >> working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

                > ...and people wonder why I'm thinking of getting out. ("But you make
                > good money!")

                I'm still looking for Something Wonderful to work on ...

                Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back
                of his head. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs,
                but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could
                stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps
                there isn't. -- A. A. Milne