Re: [XP] The Cost of Change Curve - XP vs other factors

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 09:05:14AM -0700, Steven Gordon wrote:
      > I agree with your points, but they cannot create a truly flat
      > cost of change curve.

      Sorry - wasn't trying to suggest that. Was merely attempting
      to amend what I thought was a misunderstanding of Bob's post.

      I agree with the earlier post that talked about how there
      are two fundamental parts to the equation:
      * the amount of "knowledge" that needs to be corrected/adjusted
      * the amount of effort/complexity to make the correction/adjustment

      Technology gains have enabled the short-feedback cycles to
      address the "knowledge gap". This does not however ensure
      that the code will be maintainable enough to address the
      "entropy" gap. Refactoring is the primary "factor" (;-)
      addressing the maintainability/entropy. I think it to in
      a sense is enabled by the short-feedback cycles that let
      us do "test first/driven" development to rebuild the code
      and rerun all the tests in short-order time.

      Rapid-feedback keeps the knowledge "current" and the gaps "small".
      Refactoring keeps the code "supple" and "resilient" to combat entropy/aging.

      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2004
        On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 9:55:42 PM, Kay Pentecost wrote:

        > I haven't gotten a really good answer yet... Except for some qualities that
        > Ron Jeffries listed a while ago... which provide a good starting point.
        > Maybe Ron would list them again. I have them printed out on several pieces
        > of paper so I come across them when I'm looking for something else... but I
        > don't know where they are now.

        No clue what you're referring to. I can search if you can give me more
        context ...

        Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
        pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
        -- Samuel Johnson