Re: [XP] The Cost of Change Curve

  • Edmund Schweppe
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1, 2004
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 8:41:21 AM, yahoogroups@...
      > wrote:
      >> The fact is that there are going to be architectural design
      >> decisions that will be difficult to change; this is where
      >> experiance comes into play, because a lot of them seem to be
      >> avoidable (or at least amenable to impact reduction) if you know
      >> the secrets of the masters. (I'm not a master, don't ask me for the
      >> secrets.)
      > How do we know that this is a fact?

      How do we know that John Roth is not a master? I suppose we could take
      his word for it ... :-)

      How do we know that there are going to be architectural design decisions
      that will be difficult to change? Consider the choice of programming
      language(s) to be used. It's a lot more work to build a lot of things in
      C++ and then rebuild them in Java than it would have been to build them
      in Java in the first place. Therefore, there exists at least one
      architectural design decision that will be difficult to change.

      Granted, in any semi-functioning XP environment, the team would have
      rather quickly noticed that they were going the wrong way. And, if the
      C++ app was deployed for a while before the Java requirement showed up
      (such as if the Java requirement was driven by politics rather than real
      business value), the team would have generated business value that will
      help offset the cost of the change. And, hopefully, the team will be
      able to use their knowledge of the domain to create the Java version at
      less cost than the C++ version. But, still, it's more work to build a
      C++ version, discard it and build a Java version than it is to just
      build a C++ version, or just build a Java version.

      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2004
        On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 9:55:42 PM, Kay Pentecost wrote:

        > I haven't gotten a really good answer yet... Except for some qualities that
        > Ron Jeffries listed a while ago... which provide a good starting point.
        > Maybe Ron would list them again. I have them printed out on several pieces
        > of paper so I come across them when I'm looking for something else... but I
        > don't know where they are now.

        No clue what you're referring to. I can search if you can give me more
        context ...

        Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
        pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
        -- Samuel Johnson