Re: [XP] The Cost of Change Curve - XP vs other factors

  • Jeff Grigg
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1 7:54 AM
      --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
      > Again, Jeff, it seems that you are describing weather as climate.

      What's climate, if not a description of weather over time?

      > Code /can/ be hard to change. It does not follow that it must be.

      True. But I think I'm responding to Dr. Martin's claim, which I take
      as...

      "The cost of change curve has collapsed.
      "But it's not because of XP (or adoption of agile methods).
      "It's because computers are so much bigger and faster, and have
      better tools."

      Well, if that were true, then ease of maintenance would be highly
      correlated with projects upgrading to modern hardware and software,
      and there would be little correlation with methodology.

      (And if methodology doesn't matter, then I guess that puts
      the "methodologists" out of business! ;-)
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8 2:39 AM
        On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 9:55:42 PM, Kay Pentecost wrote:

        > I haven't gotten a really good answer yet... Except for some qualities that
        > Ron Jeffries listed a while ago... which provide a good starting point.
        > Maybe Ron would list them again. I have them printed out on several pieces
        > of paper so I come across them when I'm looking for something else... but I
        > don't know where they are now.

        No clue what you're referring to. I can search if you can give me more
        context ...

        Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
        pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
        -- Samuel Johnson