RE: [XP] eXtreme Collaboration

  • Ivan Tomek
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
      Adam,

      Do you have any references related to the Queensland project?

      Ivan Tomek
      School of Computer Science
      Acadia University
      Canada

    • Adam Carter
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        Ivan Tomek wrote:
        > Adam,
        >
        > Do you have any references related to the Queensland project?
        >
        > Ivan Tomek
        > School of Computer Science
        > Acadia University
        > Canada

        Currently it is just starting up, so there are lots of spikes, talking
        and a large design proposal. However, because it is an Undergraduate
        project all of the student sites are held behind firewalls :(

        It isn't all bad news, I can pass along contact information :)

        Adam
      • J. B. Rainsberger
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          Brian Abbott wrote:

          > Interesting... Does anyone here currently use collaboration tools of any
          > kind or plan to use them in the future? And, how useful do you think
          > they could be?

          Wiki. Very useful when the customer can't be in the room.
          --
          J. B. Rainsberger,
          Diaspar Software Services
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
            I read this article and just had to laugh. So... we can pay millions of
            dollars to track everything people say to find out a piece of
            information that...

            we could just take 60 seconds and ASK the person!

            Of course, that would require trust and that generally requires a
            healthy environment, etc., etc.

            So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
            helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
            working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

            -joel

            Jeff Grigg wrote:
            > --- Brad Appleton <brad@b...> wrote:
            >
            >>This looks sort of interesting, and kinda scary ...
            >>"Reality Mining" the Organization
            >><http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_pentland033104.asp?
            >
            > trk=nl>
            >
            > That's just scary. Shades of 1984 and "Big Brother is Watching You."
            >
            >>From the article...
            > > Everyone would wear computers with voice recognition. And the
            > words you use, and who you use them around, would be reported to
            > management. "With speech recognition technology, we can generate
            > profiles of individuals based on the words they use in
            > conversations. These profiles help identify the people within an
            > organization who have particular expertise."
          • Kari Hoijarvi
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
              Groove is the best I know. Not open source, but cheap.

              Peer-to-peer, no server needed. Goes 2-way thru firewalls
              via port 80.

              I need collaboration tools two months a year, when my
              boss is across the ocean.

              Kari

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                Joel Shellman wrote:

                > So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
                > helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
                > working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

                ...and people wonder why I'm thinking of getting out. ("But you make
                good money!")
                --
                J. B. Rainsberger,
                Diaspar Software Services
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                  On Saturday, April 3, 2004, at 11:28:54 AM, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

                  >> So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
                  >> helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
                  >> working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

                  > ...and people wonder why I'm thinking of getting out. ("But you make
                  > good money!")

                  I'm still looking for Something Wonderful to work on ...

                  Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back
                  of his head. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs,
                  but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could
                  stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps
                  there isn't. -- A. A. Milne