Re: [XP] The Cost of Change Curve - XP vs other factors

    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 9:29:51 AM, Jeff Grigg wrote:

      > So this legacy code isn't really hard to change: If only we would
      > throw away the Change Control Review Board, the Tracability research,
      > the status reports and meetings, we would suddenly find that this
      > legacy code is actually very easy to change -- because compiles are
      > faster, there's lots of disk space, and the IDE is powerful.

      > Hmmmm....
      > I just don't buy that. The code is devilishly difficult to change,
      > even if you throw away all process and just do hacking. It's
      > remarkably difficult to find the code that needs to be changed, and
      > many times more difficult than that to figure out how to test
      > everything to make sure you didn't break it.

      Again, Jeff, it seems that you are describing weather as climate.

      Code /can/ be hard to change. It does not follow that it must be.

      "Some people take everything personally." -- Ron Jeffries
      "I do not!" -- Ann Anderson
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2004
        On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 9:55:42 PM, Kay Pentecost wrote:

        > I haven't gotten a really good answer yet... Except for some qualities that
        > Ron Jeffries listed a while ago... which provide a good starting point.
        > Maybe Ron would list them again. I have them printed out on several pieces
        > of paper so I come across them when I'm looking for something else... but I
        > don't know where they are now.

        No clue what you're referring to. I can search if you can give me more
        context ...

        Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
        pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
        -- Samuel Johnson