Defect rate measurements

  • Michael Campbell
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      I've been tasked with helping a person in our organization get an
      RFP out for a software development effort. Part of the RFP is to
      put in some quantifiable measurement of defect rates.

      Having 0 experience in this, I thought I'd ask this group since
      metrics are an important part of agile methodologies.

      My first 2 questions are:

      * How does one measure defect rates; what's the unit? bug/LOC?
      bug/module? /class? (This is Java, BTW)

      * Is there an "industry standard" for this sort of thing; that is,
      is there a common number that is used when doing this? If so, what
      is it?

      Any other thoughts welcome. Please CC: me directly, as the volume
      on this list is such that I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

      Thanks,

      Michael