Re: [XP] The Cost of Change Curve - XP vs other factors

    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 8:01:30 AM, Jeff Grigg wrote:

      > Bob, you've been drinking too much of your own lemonade. Having a
      > bigger hammer only solves part of the problem. I can assure you that
      > on the various non-XP projects I've seen in the last few years, the
      > cost of change curve is alive and well. Every time these projects
      > let an inexperienced low level coder go off and do something stupid,
      > it takes years of concerted effort to recover. And the cost of
      > transferring a person from one subsystem to another is still
      > outrageous, largely due to the long learning curve required to
      > reverse engineer the design and figure out how to test the new
      > subsystem.

      > The powerful tools are nice, but their productivity benefits are more
      > than consumed by the increase in complexity and size of today's
      > applications.

      What you've described above, Jeff, isn't an issue of inherent complexity,
      but a result of stupid implementation. The cost of change surely remains
      high if we build code that is hard to change, which we can do much more
      efficiently than ever before. :)

      The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken.
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2004
        On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 9:55:42 PM, Kay Pentecost wrote:

        > I haven't gotten a really good answer yet... Except for some qualities that
        > Ron Jeffries listed a while ago... which provide a good starting point.
        > Maybe Ron would list them again. I have them printed out on several pieces
        > of paper so I come across them when I'm looking for something else... but I
        > don't know where they are now.

        No clue what you're referring to. I can search if you can give me more
        context ...

        Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
        pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
        -- Samuel Johnson