Re[2]: [XP] The Cost of Change Curve

  • PaulOldfield1@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1, 2004
      (responding to Uncle Bob)

      > What agency might have caused the flattening? Consider:

      Okay, I've considered. I think it is the decoupling of the cost
      of change curve for the requirement lifecycle from the cost
      of change curve for the project lifecycle. For waterfall projects
      these used to be locked together, so were both exponential.

      Now the requirements lifecycle curve is still exponential,
      though with smaller multiplier owing to better tools and practices.
      The project lifecycle cost of change curve is much flatter
      because we get full lifecycle feedback much earlier and
      at a relatively staedy rate after the first iteration.

      One may argue that it is the bigger, better, faster tools and
      computers that enable iterative development, and I'd
      have to agree they play a large part in this.

      Paul Oldfield
      www.aptprocess.com
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2004
        On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 9:55:42 PM, Kay Pentecost wrote:

        > I haven't gotten a really good answer yet... Except for some qualities that
        > Ron Jeffries listed a while ago... which provide a good starting point.
        > Maybe Ron would list them again. I have them printed out on several pieces
        > of paper so I come across them when I'm looking for something else... but I
        > don't know where they are now.

        No clue what you're referring to. I can search if you can give me more
        context ...

        Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
        pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
        -- Samuel Johnson