Re: [XP] eXtreme Collaboration

  • Adam Carter
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
      Brian Abbott wrote:

      > Interesting... Does anyone here currently use collaboration tools of any
      > kind or plan to use them in the future? And, how useful do you think
      > they could be?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Brian Abbott

      There is a Undergraduate project at the University of Queensland that is
      looking at the ideals of XP, and making a Agile Project Planning tool
      from it.

      Some of the tools they have are a Collaborative Toolkit for the creation
      of User Stories, engineering tasks and so on.

      Personally I think Collaborative tools is an amazing workhorse. It aids
      in the day to day communication of people and teams who might not be
      able to spend too much time in each others pockets.

      The basic cons are when the Collaborative tools become overly heavy, and
      then they really are not Collaborative but just something else to work
      around.

      Adam
    • Ivan Tomek
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        Adam,

        Do you have any references related to the Queensland project?

        Ivan Tomek
        School of Computer Science
        Acadia University
        Canada

      • Adam Carter
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          Ivan Tomek wrote:
          > Adam,
          >
          > Do you have any references related to the Queensland project?
          >
          > Ivan Tomek
          > School of Computer Science
          > Acadia University
          > Canada

          Currently it is just starting up, so there are lots of spikes, talking
          and a large design proposal. However, because it is an Undergraduate
          project all of the student sites are held behind firewalls :(

          It isn't all bad news, I can pass along contact information :)

          Adam
        • J. B. Rainsberger
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
            Brian Abbott wrote:

            > Interesting... Does anyone here currently use collaboration tools of any
            > kind or plan to use them in the future? And, how useful do you think
            > they could be?

            Wiki. Very useful when the customer can't be in the room.
            --
            J. B. Rainsberger,
            Diaspar Software Services
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
              I read this article and just had to laugh. So... we can pay millions of
              dollars to track everything people say to find out a piece of
              information that...

              we could just take 60 seconds and ASK the person!

              Of course, that would require trust and that generally requires a
              healthy environment, etc., etc.

              So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
              helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
              working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

              -joel

              Jeff Grigg wrote:
              > --- Brad Appleton <brad@b...> wrote:
              >
              >>This looks sort of interesting, and kinda scary ...
              >>"Reality Mining" the Organization
              >><http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_pentland033104.asp?
              >
              > trk=nl>
              >
              > That's just scary. Shades of 1984 and "Big Brother is Watching You."
              >
              >>From the article...
              > > Everyone would wear computers with voice recognition. And the
              > words you use, and who you use them around, would be reported to
              > management. "With speech recognition technology, we can generate
              > profiles of individuals based on the words they use in
              > conversations. These profiles help identify the people within an
              > organization who have particular expertise."
            • Kari Hoijarvi
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
                Groove is the best I know. Not open source, but cheap.

                Peer-to-peer, no server needed. Goes 2-way thru firewalls
                via port 80.

                I need collaboration tools two months a year, when my
                boss is across the ocean.

                Kari

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                  Joel Shellman wrote:

                  > So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
                  > helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
                  > working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

                  ...and people wonder why I'm thinking of getting out. ("But you make
                  good money!")
                  --
                  J. B. Rainsberger,
                  Diaspar Software Services
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                    On Saturday, April 3, 2004, at 11:28:54 AM, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

                    >> So instead of focusing on building an organization built on trust and
                    >> helping each other, and a place where people would actually enjoy
                    >> working, some desparately strive to make it more and more miserable.

                    > ...and people wonder why I'm thinking of getting out. ("But you make
                    > good money!")

                    I'm still looking for Something Wonderful to work on ...

                    Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back
                    of his head. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs,
                    but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could
                    stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps
                    there isn't. -- A. A. Milne