[XP] Re: Simplest Possible Process - adaptable

  • aacockburn
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
      <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
      > On Wednesday, March 31, 2004, at 12:16:00 PM, acockburn@a... wrote:
      >
      > > DSDM, FDD, Grizzly and XP are agile but not very adaptable.
      Including
      > > retrospectives into XP helps, but the 12 practices put a pretty
      severe bound on how
      > > far the group can go and still be saying they are doing XP.
      >
      > The XP spokesmodels do not agree that XP is not adaptable. Alistair
      seems
      > to be making the common assumption that XP is defined as "do these
      12
      > things". That is not the case.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries

      The XP spokesmodels have uniformly failed to provide any other
      definition of what it means to "do XP." In the absence of any other
      test agreed upon by Kent, Ron, Ward and possibly Uncle Bob, this is
      the only imaginable test. As soon as there is another test, we can
      apply it.

      I have in fact heard Ron announce at a panel that XP is nothing more
      than people getting together at the start of a project and agreeing
      on a set of rules, and whatever they agree upon is XP. I can't
      imagine this being true, even if Ron says it.

      Here's a situation: "We got together and reflected. We decided not to
      do pair programming. We won't do TDD, nor have complete unit tests on
      an automated framework. Our iteration length is 6 weeks. Are we doing
      XP?"

      I fail to imagine how you can defend that they are doing XP.

      Alistair
    • aacockburn
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
        I love going to Dictionary.com and seeing it say:
        "Get the Top 10 Most Popular Sites for "anathema""

        I didn't know there were _any_ popular sites for "anathema"! But then
        I click on the link and the first thing on the list is
        <<Anathema
        The official Anathema homepage, containing the latest news and lots
        of other stuff.
        From:www.blackmetal.com/~mega/Anathema/

        So there ! wow.

        Back on topic, I view that every project should / must / inevitably
        will create its own, slightly or highly modified process.
        Most execs, however, view this as a dangerous, expensive and
        undesirable proposition.

        Incorrectly done, they are probably correct. I am working around how
        to do it and keep within cost and safety margins.

        Alistair

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Copelan"

      • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
          > > > DSDM, FDD, Grizzly and XP are agile but not very adaptable.
          > Including
          > > > retrospectives into XP helps, but the 12 practices put a pretty
          > severe bound on how
          > > > far the group can go and still be saying they are doing XP.
          > >
          > > The XP spokesmodels do not agree that XP is not adaptable. Alistair
          > seems
          > > to be making the common assumption that XP is defined as "do these
          > 12
          > > things". That is not the case.
          > >
          > > Ron Jeffries
          >
          > The XP spokesmodels have uniformly failed to provide any other
          > definition of what it means to "do XP." In the absence of any other
          > test agreed upon by Kent, Ron, Ward and possibly Uncle Bob, this is
          > the only imaginable test. As soon as there is another test, we can
          > apply it.

          Something that most people seem to have missed is that there are
          ***three*** levels of definition in XP: the values, the principles
          and the practices. The practices are defined for novices (your level
          1) who are working in a colocated environment together with all
          necessary resources (including customers, QA, DBAs, UI experts,
          etc.) on site or readily availible when needed.

          To paraphrase a play that I'm sure most of us have sat through
          on one Christmas season or other: "This must be clearly understood,
          or no good will come from what follows."

          The 5 principles are what you use to evaluate a proposed practice,
          or a change to a practice. To repeat chapter 8 of the White Book:

          1. Rapid feedback
          2. Assume simplicity
          3. Incremental change
          4. Embracing change
          5. Quality work

          Each of the twelve practices conforms to these principles in the
          context of a colocated team.

          > Here's a situation: "We got together and reflected. We decided not to
          > do pair programming. We won't do TDD, nor have complete unit tests on
          > an automated framework. Our iteration length is 6 weeks. Are we doing
          > XP?"

          > I fail to imagine how you can defend that they are doing XP.

          They can't legitimately defend it, although that's never stopped
          anyone. A 6 week iteration does not conform to rapid feedback,
          and the rest do not encourage quality work.

          John Roth

          > Alistair
        • aacockburn
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Hansen"
            <peter@e...> wrote:
            > We've interpreted XP as being "learn to do these things, adjusted
            for
            > your environment if required, and once you feel you're doing pretty
            > much all of them for a while and are confident you know what you're
            > doing, move on, by fixing things, changing things, or
            even 'abandoning'
            > canonical XP if that's the best thing for you".

            There are about a dozen books on XP out there. In which ones do we
            find this definition of XP?

            Alistair
          • Peter Hansen
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
              Alistair Cockburn wrote:
              > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Hansen"
              > <peter@e...> wrote:
              > > We've interpreted XP as being "learn to do these things, adjusted for
              > > your environment if required, and once you feel you're doing pretty
              > > much all of them for a while and are confident you know what you're
              > > doing, move on, by fixing things, changing things, or even 'abandoning'
              > > canonical XP if that's the best thing for you".
              >
              > There are about a dozen books on XP out there. In which ones
              > do we find this definition of XP?

              Why in all of them, of course!

              (Quite seriously.)

              (And note the use of "all" and not "each", though a wise reader
              could, I think, clearly find it even in "each" of them.)

              Another, less useful reply would be to point more forcibly to the
              word "interpreted" in what you quoted above. Surely you understand
              that this clearly indicates this was not a _definition_ of XP.

              -Peter
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                On Wednesday, March 31, 2004, at 2:29:28 PM, aacockburn wrote:

                > The XP spokesmodels have uniformly failed to provide any other
                > definition of what it means to "do XP." In the absence of any other
                > test agreed upon by Kent, Ron, Ward and possibly Uncle Bob, this is
                > the only imaginable test. As soon as there is another test, we can
                > apply it.

                It's not the only test I can imagine, therefore not the only one
                imaginable. Here are a few alternatives, NONE OF WHICH IS REALLY THE
                DEFINITION:

                A team is doing XP if { Ward, Kent, ... } say they are.

                All teams are doing XP.

                No teams are doing XP.

                A team is doing XP if (a) it says it is and (b) it successfully ships
                software on or before time, on or under budget, with fewer defects than
                would have been acceptable.

                A team is doing XP if [see (b) above].

                Therefore "doing the 12 practices" is not the only imaginable test. I trust
                that we now all agree, having imagined at least the six tests listed above.
                Most of you, I'm sure, have striven mightily not to imagine another one.

                > I have in fact heard Ron announce at a panel that XP is nothing more
                > than people getting together at the start of a project and agreeing
                > on a set of rules, and whatever they agree upon is XP. I can't
                > imagine this being true, even if Ron says it.

                I am quite sure that I didn't say that. If I did, I'm sorry now. And
                besides, the panel is dead.

                But I really don't think I'd say that. Perhaps I was misinterpreted. Was it
                in another country?

                > Here's a situation: "We got together and reflected. We decided not to
                > do pair programming. We won't do TDD, nor have complete unit tests on
                > an automated framework. Our iteration length is 6 weeks. Are we doing
                > XP?"

                > I fail to imagine how you can defend that they are doing XP.

                Wouldn't. Didn't say it. Was misinterpreted. Or just wrong. The former
                seems more likely, statistically speaking, by a small margin.

                The topic has been addressed quite a bit:

                In November, 2000, I seemed to have the view that "doing XP" meant doing
                all 12 practices, but that it wasn't a good question:

                People aren't always sure whether they are doing XP. It's not always
                clear how to do XP in a specific environment. "Are we doing XP?" may be
                the wrong question. Applying the principles for best effect is what's
                most important.

                http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/are_we_doing_xp.htm

                In December 2000, Chet suggested that the practices may change, and the
                values will not:

                http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/NotXP.htm

                In September 2001, I said:

                People ask whether they have to do the XP practices to be doing XP. In
                some environments, some of the practices are difficult or impossible. You
                don't have to do the practices to be doing XP: You have to have done
                them. Practice makes perfect.

                http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/PracticesForaReason.htm

                In July 2002, in my introduction to the Korean edition of /XPI/, I took a
                sort of ShuHaRi approach, saying that the practices are how to learn XP.

                http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/koreanintro.htm

                At this point, Alistair is surely shouting "QED" or whatever he shouts when
                he thinks someone has made his point for him. But that's not the point that
                has been made.

                There is no definition for "Doing XP", as far as I know. Certainly the
                phrase is used, but like "Doing RUP" or "Doing martial arts", there is no
                precise meaning. The closest meaning that I know so far (and at any minute
                someone might come up with one that I would embrace) is:

                XP is what you do after you have done the 12 practices, all together, for
                long enough.

                Sorry. But it really is part of the Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, or ShuHaRi
                stuff. Both of which were introduced into the agile culture, as far as I
                know, by Alistair.

                Are you doing XP? Yes or No!

                "I choose option C." -- Jason Yip.

                http://www.jroller.com/page/jchyip/20040108?catname=Agile
                and see also
                http://www.jroller.com/page/jchyip/20031204?catname=Agile

                And, I swear this, the sig is random.

                The practices are not the knowing: they are a path to the knowing.
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                  On Wednesday, March 31, 2004, at 2:59:07 PM, aacockburn wrote:

                  > There are about a dozen books on XP out there. In which ones do we
                  > find this definition of XP?

                  OK, Alistair, you win.

                  When all ideas of [XP] is and [XP] is not have been extinguished,
                  then [XP] reality will manifest itself. -- Thich Nhat Hanh [Ron Jeffries]
                • J. B. Rainsberger
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                    aacockburn wrote:

                    > The XP spokesmodels have uniformly failed to provide any other
                    > definition of what it means to "do XP." In the absence of any other
                    > test agreed upon by Kent, Ron, Ward and possibly Uncle Bob, this is
                    > the only imaginable test. As soon as there is another test, we can
                    > apply it.

                    What about the common maxim that XP is what you get after to master the
                    12 practices? That's pretty uniform. I'm sure Ron and Kent have said it;
                    likely Bob, too. Will Caputo likes it. I like it.
                    --
                    J. B. Rainsberger,
                    Diaspar Software Services
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                      J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

                      > aacockburn wrote:
                      >
                      >>The XP spokesmodels have uniformly failed to provide any other
                      >>definition of what it means to "do XP." In the absence of any other
                      >>test agreed upon by Kent, Ron, Ward and possibly Uncle Bob, this is
                      >>the only imaginable test. As soon as there is another test, we can
                      >>apply it.
                      >
                      > What about the common maxim that XP is what you get after to master the
                      > 12 practices? That's pretty uniform. I'm sure Ron and Kent have said it;
                      > likely Bob, too. Will Caputo likes it. I like it.

                      ...and to head off Alistair's question, it's either in one of the books
                      or it's in one of the books yet to be written. It's certainly been
                      plastered all over this list.
                      --
                      J. B. Rainsberger,
                      Diaspar Software Services
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                        On Wednesday, March 31, 2004, at 2:36:00 PM, aacockburn wrote:

                        > Back on topic, I view that every project should / must / inevitably
                        > will create its own, slightly or highly modified process.
                        > Most execs, however, view this as a dangerous, expensive and
                        > undesirable proposition.

                        > Incorrectly done, they are probably correct. I am working around how
                        > to do it and keep within cost and safety margins.

                        Yes, important work. We also need some people working on making it clear to
                        execs that they should / must / inevitably will ... and that it's a good
                        thing.

                        Can we still say "it's a good thing"?

                        Do only what is necessary. Keep only what you need.
                      • aacockburn
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                          I consider this such a fine and thorough append that I won't attempt
                          to kibbitz on it here. Best left standing.

                          cheers, Ron --- Alistair

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                            On Wednesday, March 31, 2004, at 5:02:31 PM, aacockburn wrote:

                            > cheers, Ron --- Alistair

                            Kiss, kiss. -- Dale Emery

                            New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
                            the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
                            them?" -- H. G. Wells
                          • Amir Kolsky
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                              ]
                              ]I have in fact heard Ron announce at a panel that XP is nothing more
                              ]than people getting together at the start of a project and agreeing
                              ]on a set of rules, and whatever they agree upon is XP. I can't
                              ]imagine this being true, even if Ron says it.
                              ]
                              ]Here's a situation: "We got together and reflected. We decided not to
                              ]do pair programming. We won't do TDD, nor have complete unit tests on
                              ]an automated framework. Our iteration length is 6 weeks. Are we doing
                              ]XP?"
                              ]
                              ]I fail to imagine how you can defend that they are doing XP.

                              OK, I've been doing XP with a bunch of people that have never done anything
                              like it before.

                              We do the planning game, to a degree. We fix iterations. We TDD. We do
                              acceptance tests.
                              We sorta have an on site customer, and we work real hard to DTSTTW. We don't
                              pair program (except with the coaches) and the guys won't leave their
                              cubicles.

                              Do we do all 12? No.

                              Why are we doing XP? Yes.

                              We are trying to get the team to adopt the values of XP. Most of them are
                              giving it their best effort. Given the mammoth change that a programmer and
                              the organization must undertake, they don't have to do all 12 to do XP.

                              They have to aim for the values.

                              No TDD, no acceptance tests and 6 week iterations could be construed as XP
                              in an organization that did nothing of the sort, with massive waterfall
                              processes.

                              Perhaps we need to view XP also in light of what was before the team
                              undertook it...

                              Amir
                            • kentlbeck
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                                Anyone can claim to be extreme. Making that claim opens you to
                                scrutiny by any interested party. There are benefits and risks to
                                making that claim. The people who have claimed to be extreme but
                                weren't have been refuted and have suffered the consequences. The
                                people who are extreme and are open about it have gained the
                                benefits of using XP and the respect of the community.

                                Kent
                              • PaulOldfield1@compuserve.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
                                  (responding to Alistair, Ron)

                                  > (Alistair)
                                  > Back on topic, I view that every project should / must / inevitably
                                  > will create its own, slightly or highly modified process.
                                  > Most execs, however, view this as a dangerous, expensive and
                                  > undesirable proposition.
                                  >
                                  > Incorrectly done, they are probably correct. I am working around
                                  > how to do it and keep within cost and safety margins.

                                  There's always *some* process that is left to the discretion of the
                                  developers. Give them appropriate training and this amount can
                                  be increased; as they get more experience, it can be increased.
                                  The 'attainable' property of a process that I value deals with this.
                                  To be attainable, all parts of the process must either be already
                                  within the capabilities of the developers or be within their 'reach'.

                                  Yes, that leaves a lot open to interpretation, but treat it as a
                                  requirement, and design a solution that meets the requirement.
                                  We should be good at that.

                                  > (Ron)
                                  > Yes, important work. We also need some people working on making
                                  > it clear to execs that they should / must / inevitably will ... and that
                                  it's
                                  > a good thing.
                                  >
                                  > Can we still say "it's a good thing"?

                                  Talk about attainability, reach, overreaching, the risks and benefits.
                                  Talk about adequacy, sufficiency, necessity, the risks and benefits.
                                  Tell them what approach you would take, and its risks and benefits.
                                  Allow them to say which risks they would further ameliorate, which
                                  benefits they would forego, and adapt the process accordingly -
                                  after discussing the risks and benefits. At some level, you need to
                                  let *them* say what is a "good thing". They probably just want to
                                  have the confidence that they can leave the decisions in your hands.

                                  Paul Oldfield
                                  www.aptprocess.com
                                • Alleman, Glen B.
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
                                    Even better it's an "Extreme Metal" site

                                    Glen B. Alleman

                                    From:www.blackmetal.com/~mega/Anathema/

                                    So there ! wow.
                                  • Alleman, Glen B.
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
                                      Kent,

                                      And what about us that use XP-inspired processes. Doing a subset of XP
                                      but reaping "some" benefits? The processes we don't use are not because
                                      we don't want to but for external constraint reasons. Where do those
                                      types of shops fit?

                                      Glen B. Alleman

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
                                        kentlbeck wrote:

                                        > Anyone can claim to be extreme. Making that claim opens you to
                                        > scrutiny by any interested party. There are benefits and risks to
                                        > making that claim. The people who have claimed to be extreme but
                                        > weren't have been refuted and have suffered the consequences. The
                                        > people who are extreme and are open about it have gained the
                                        > benefits of using XP and the respect of the community.

                                        Has anyone else noticed the way that Kent makes the obvious profound?
                                        --
                                        J. B. Rainsberger,
                                        Diaspar Software Services
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                                          (responding to J.B.)

                                          > Has anyone else noticed the way that Kent makes the
                                          > obvious profound?

                                          I'll give him full marks for making the obvious obvious.

                                          Paul Oldfield
                                        • Jeff Grigg
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004

                                            --- PaulOldfield1@c... wrote:
                                            > I'll give him full marks for making the obvious obvious.
                                            > Paul Oldfield

                                            Will: "This is either madness or brilliance."
                                            Jack: "It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide."
                                            -- RJ (...and some characters in some movie. ;-)
                                          • Karl Scotland
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004

                                              I've always been reluctant to claim that we "do XP". We don't unit test
                                              ALL our code - its difficult in some of the languages we use. We don't
                                              have any automated acceptance tests - its difficult with our technology.
                                              I still recognise them as good things, and I certainly wish we could do
                                              them more.

                                              I prefer to say we are "inspired by XP and aspire to XP".

                                              Karl

                                              BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

                                              stated.
                                              BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
                                            • Peter Hansen
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                                                Karl Scotland [mailto:karl.scotland@...] wrote:
                                                > I've always been reluctant to claim that we "do XP". We
                                                > don't unit test ALL our code - its difficult in some of the
                                                > languages we use.

                                                Would you mind identifying what those languages are? I find
                                                it a challenge, but one well worth facing, to try very creatively
                                                to find ways to unit test any language I have to use.

                                                > We don't have any automated acceptance
                                                > tests - its difficult with our technology.

                                                Same question as above. I've done a lot of work now in an
                                                area which I think many people would describe in the same
                                                manner -- embedded systems -- but we still found a way. What
                                                makes testing your technology so challenging?

                                                -Peter