RE: [XP] Re: Simplest Possible Process

  • Alleman, Glen B.
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 31, 2004
      Alistair,

      Here's a core problem. One dictionary definition of "agile" is
      'Characterized by quickness, lightness, and ease of movement; nimble.'
      Agile is derived from the Latin term agilis, "to drive, to do"

      But in our modern language a 250 LB middle line backer can be "agile" -
      quick on his feet, able to avoid being tackled.

      The issue is that describing the process in the absence of its outcomes
      leads to the semantic problem of self-referencing terms. If we go back
      to the Latin and focus on "doing," as an out come it may isolate the
      agile process description.

      Agile processes focus on the outcomes of "doing the process" rather than
      on the process itself. All the focus these days in our high ceremony
      CMMI world still focuses on the elements of the process and not the
      outcomes. This is what separates agile from ~agile.

      Glen B. Alleman