RE: [XP] Value created by an Artifact

  • PaulOldfield1@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2004
      (responding to Tony)

      > It matters a great deal what you expect from the DFD (or
      > class diagram). If you can take it seriously, *and* can
      > honestly assess when it's no longer useful, it might be worth
      > doing. There's always the danger that the DFD will drive the
      > code, not v.v.

      An understanding of the problem should drive the solution, yet
      attempting a solution may help in understanding the problem.
      Any artefact that helps understand the problem is potentially
      worth creating (specially if you minimise the cost - see Agile
      Modeling). Reducing the process to something mechanical
      where a result is cranked out by-passing the step of understanding
      the problem is probably not a good idea. In this latter respect,
      having the DFD drive the code would not be good. Yet the
      understanding gained by doing a DFD prior to doing the code
      can be very helpful. I cannot see any circumstances where
      I would want the code to drive the DFD, so I probably don't
      understand this danger you refer to.

      Paul Oldfield
      www.aptprocess.com