RE: [XP] shootout: xplanner versus VersionOne

  • Steve Bate
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29 8:25 PM
      Hi Andrew,

      Have you considered doing a 3-way shootout: VersionOne, XPlanner,
      and note cards? Seriously, it might be interesting.

      I'm not in the Atlanta area, but here's what I see as some of
      the tradeoffs between VersionOne and XPlanner (the tradeoff
      between software tools and cards have already been discussed
      at length here).

      VersionOne
      - More features (e.g. release planning)
      - More complex UI (e.g. drag-n-drop release planning)
      - Microsoft bias (.NET server; I think drag-n-drop and other
      features only work with IE)
      - Closed source
      - Costs $$$

      XPlanner
      - Free
      - Open source (LGPL)
      - Cross platform
      - Simpler UI
      - Less features
      - Commercial support available from
      RadSoft http://www.radsoft.com

      XPlanner 0.6 will be released soon and will have an extended
      authorization framework, PDF export, change history,
      notifications, an improved SOAP interface, and several
      other new features. Eugene Karpov has also released a plugin
      that integrates IDEA with XPlanner.

      VersionOne looks like a nice product. It's definitely worth
      checking into if a team needs the extra features and those
      features are worth the price.

      Regards,

      Steve