March 18 Chicago Area free seminar, "Transitioning to Agile"

  • netobjectives
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2004
      I wanted to invite everyone to our upcoming free
      seminar "Transitioning to Agile." Net Objectives' Senior Consultant
      Doug Shimp will be presenting the talk on Thursday, March 18, 2004
      at the Wyndham Garden Hotel in Schaumburg, IL from 6:30 – 9:00pm.
      Pizza and refreshments will be served.

      In this seminar, we discuss what problems agility will present and
      how to deal with these. Case studies are presented. By
      understanding the benefits and challenges of agile, you will be
      better able to transition into agile in your own development efforts
      without having to take a leap of faith. This seminar is intended
      for technical managers, project managers, team leads, and developers
      who want to know how to get a grip on their software projects.

      For more information, including how to register, please scroll down
      after my signature, or you may follow this link:
      http://www.netobjectives.com/events/pr_chi_2004_03_tta.htm

      ALSO NOTE, we will be holding our first public course in the Chicago
      area on March 31st and April 1st. "Agile Development Best
      Practices" will be offered at an introductory price of $400
      (regularly priced at $795). It will be held from 9am-5pm at the
      Schaumburg Regional Airport Meeting Room. You can follow this link
      for a description of the course:
      http://www.netobjectives.com/courses/c_ad_best_practices.htm
      If you are interested in this course, please contact me at the email
      address or phone number below.

      Please pass this on to anybody else you feel would be interested or
      might benefit from this seminar or public course.

      Thanks,

      Mike Shalloway
      Training Coordinator
      Net Objectives
      (404)593-8375
      www.netobjectives.com

      Net Objectives' vision is effective software development without
      suffering. Our mission is to assist software development teams in
      accomplishing this through a combination of training and mentoring.

      Transitioning to Agile

      More and more companies are beginning to see the need for Agile
      Development. It is becoming clear that attempting to get full
      requirements up-front and having a completely planned, rigid
      approach to software development doesn't work but is more of a "hope
      over experience". How to proceed isn't so clear. Do we go with the
      Rational Unified Process (RUP), XP (eXtreme Programming), Scrum, or
      even another methodology? The investment in the new techniques
      seems daunting, expensive and by no means assured of success.

      The groundbreaking book "Extreme Programming Explained" made it
      sound like an all or nothing approach. Given it's controversial
      practices and mantras, this has been a leap few managers have been
      willing to make. However, there are ways to transition to agile
      that are straightforward, intuitively clear, comfortable and risk
      adverse. This seminar is about several of these methods.

      The core issues:
      At the heart of agile is the notion that you need to work with your
      customers to get feedback on how the project is going. Short (2-6
      week) iterations, with the efforts directed by customers results in:
      -frequent feedback
      -staying on track
      -accurately seeing where the project is
      -the incorporation of new ideas quickly
      -effective software development

      It also causes major problems that must be dealt with. Any plan to
      go to an agile methodology must deal with these problems. These
      include:
      -testing issues
      -planning
      -risk management
      -team communication issues
      -customer availability

      The core lessons of this seminar:
      It is often taught to look at practices of agile methods first, then
      an understanding will follow. In this seminar, we discuss what
      problems agility will present and how to deal with these. Case
      studies are presented. By understanding the benefits and challenges
      of agile, you will be better able to transition into agile in your
      own development efforts without taking a leap of faith.

      Who should attend:
      This seminar is intended for technical managers, project managers,
      team leads and developers who want to know how to get a grip on
      their software projects.

      About the Presenter:
      Douglas E. Shimp has 15 years experience in the technology field. He
      has played all roles in software development (developer, QA,
      Analyst, Manager, Leader etc) and has established himself as a
      leader in the field. Most recently Doug worked in the finance
      industry as a leader for the management and development of core
      finance technology. The finance company was a child for a much
      larger parent that needed an emergent business/technology trend
      setter to push its IT systems forward. Doug was successful in
      enabling the parent company to attain a dominant market position by
      providing incubation space for the innovation of key finance
      technology. One of Doug's distinctions is his focus on the
      interaction of technology and corporate cultural issues. He is
      certified by both Cockburn and Associates to teach "Writing
      Effective Use Cases" and Advanced Development Methods as a Scrum
      Master.

      You must register to attend:
      Although this seminar is free, you must register to attend. Follow
      this link to register:
      http://www.netobjectives.com/events/pr_chi_2004_03_tta.htm

      Date and Times:
      Thursday, March 18, 2004.
      6:30-7:00 networking and pizza
      7:00-9:00 the talk
      A charitable contribution to the Tyler-Domer Community Center of $1-
      3 is requested for food and drink.

      Location:
      Wyndham Garden Hotel - Schaumburg
      800 National Parkway