Re: [XP] Adventures in C# book (vs web site)

  • Jeff Grigg
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
      >> --- Jeff Grigg wrote:
      >>> [...] "Don't fight the tool. Leverage it."

      > --- Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > [...] I see lots of code where people have built things
      > with these tools and wound up with ill-structured ugly
      > unmaintainable code.
      >
      > The reason starts with the tools, in fact. The GUI tool generates
      > ill-factored code, for example.

      I feel your pain.

      code generation was the greatest thing since sliced bread, I've been
      known to say, "Anything you can do with code generation, I can do
      with data-driven code." (Remarkably, they don't usually believe me,
      and I have to prove it by doing it.) I can also mention that code
      generation is great, but then you have to maintain the code -- which
      is the largest overall project expense anyway.

      Also, every time I look at the over 25 thousand line Java class
      TOPLink generates for this project, it makes me choke. It makes
      JBuilder swallow hard too, every time I ask it to load the class.

      > And the reason starts with the library. The library is
      > powerful, but the abstractions aren't all that good.

      True. At some point it makes sense to introduce a powerful
      abstraction "in front of" the existing library abstractions, to make
      the overall program simpler and more maintainable. But in this case,
      I don't think "array of lines" has really helped that much.

      > Anyway, my interest is in knowing how to build OO code in
      > C#. [...] It /is/ an exploration of how to learn about
      > them, and about the language. One way, anyway ...

      And that's pretty much what I'm doing, too. ;->

      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > "How do I get to XP?" "Practice, man, practice."

      -- Jeff Grigg
      "And that's pretty much what I'm doing, too." ;->