Re: Offshoring XP

  • kentlbeck
    Message 1 of 112 , Feb 28, 2004
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Quinn"
      <rquinn@w...> wrote:
      > Should the XP community work to mitigate the challenge?
      > I think not, I believe that there are huge gains to be realised in
      > innovating to stay ahead.
      >
      > Should the XP community encompass off shoring as a
      beneficial/recommended XP
      > practice?
      > I think so. Since its going to happen anyway, being the advocates
      of the
      > strategy will seriously help get XP more of that all-important
      mind share
      > many people here are advocating.

      Business Week devotes a large part of its current issue to
      offshoring, including a nice mention of NextJet and their use of XP
      to "reduce project time by half".

      For my response to offshoring I return to the principles of XP, the
      most pertinent of which appears to be the principle of mutual
      benefit. What is a response to offshoring that improves life for
      high-cost programmers, low-cost programmers, and customers? If we
      can improve the value created by software development enough, we can
      increase the size of the software development market enough to more
      than offset the "loss" of jobs.

      So, the way I am responding to the combination of wage differential
      and high-bandwidth communication that has lead to offshoring is to
      further increase the value of software development, single- and
      multi-site. To answer your questions, XP is committed to improving
      the value of all software development, single and multi-site. XP
      does not have obstruction as a goal.

      That said, my personal reaction to offshoring is often one of fear.
      I would love to earn more of my living by plain old programming. I'm
      inclined to ascribe my difficulties in finding such work to
      offshoring. Truth to tell, though, there is a lot more I can do both
      to make my software development more valuable and to advertise the
      value of my programming.

      Kent
    • Steve Ropa
      Message 112 of 112 , Mar 3, 2004
        Yes, I should clarify. I came on board after the initial "hiring" decision
        was made. I had the perception that the team was too high ceremony, and the
        team had the perception that my company requires high ceremony. Luckily, we
        quickly found out that we were kindred spirits in Agility.