Free seminar in Bay Area on 3/16, "Transitioning to Agile"

  • netobjectives
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2004
      I wanted to invite everyone to our upcoming free
      seminar "Transitioning to Agile," presented by Net Objectives' CEO
      and Senior Consultant Alan Shalloway. This seminar will take place
      on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at Deanza College, Conference Room B in
      Cupertino, CA from 6:30 – 9:00pm. Pizza and refreshments will be
      served.

      In this seminar, we discuss what problems agility will present and
      how to deal with these. Case studies are presented. By
      understanding the benefits and challenges of agile, you will be
      better able to transition into agile in your own development efforts
      without having to take a leap of faith. This seminar is intended
      for technical managers, project managers, team leads, and developers
      who want to know how to get a grip on their software projects.

      For more information, including how to register, please scroll down
      after my signature, or you may follow this link:
      http://www.netobjectives.com/events/pr_nca_2004_03_tta.htm

      Please pass this email on to anybody else you feel would be
      interested or might benefit from this seminar.

      Thanks,

      Mike Shalloway
      Training Coordinator
      Net Objectives
      (404)593-8375
      www.netobjectives.com

      Net Objectives' vision is effective software development without
      suffering. Our mission is to assist software development teams in
      accomplishing this through a combination of training and mentoring.

      Transitioning to Agile

      More and more companies are beginning to see the need for Agile
      Development. It is becoming clear that attempting to get full
      requirements up-front and having a completely planned, rigid
      approach to software development doesn't work but is more of a "hope
      over experience". How to proceed isn't so clear. Do we go with the
      Rational Unified Process (RUP), XP (eXtreme Programming), Scrum, or
      even another methodology? The investment in the new techniques
      seems daunting, expensive and by no means assured of success.

      The groundbreaking book "Extreme Programming Explained" made it
      sound like an all or nothing approach. Given it's controversial
      practices and mantras, this has been a leap few managers have been
      willing to make. However, there are ways to transition to agile
      that are straightforward, intuitively clear, comfortable and risk
      adverse. This seminar is about several of these methods.

      The core issues:
      At the heart of agile is the notion that you need to work with your
      customers to get feedback on how the project is going. Short (2-6
      week) iterations, with the efforts directed by customers results in:

      frequent feedback

      staying on track

      accurately seeing where the project is

      the incorporation of new ideas quickly

      effective software development

      It also causes major problems that must be dealt with. Any plan to
      go to an agile methodology must deal with these problems. These
      include:

      testing issues

      planning

      risk management

      team communication issues

      customer availability

      The core lessons of this seminar:
      It is often taught to look at practices of agile methods first, then
      an understanding will follow. In this seminar, we discuss what
      problems agility will present and how to deal with these. Case
      studies are presented. By understanding the benefits and challenges
      of agile, you will be better able to transition into agile in your
      own development efforts without taking a leap of faith.

      Who should attend:
      This seminar is intended for technical managers, project managers,
      team leads and developers who want to know how to get a grip on
      their software projects.

      Biography of Presenter:

      Alan Shalloway is the CEO and senior consultant of Net Objectives.
      Since 1981, he has been both an OO consultant and developer of
      software in several industries. Alan is a frequent speaker at
      prestigious conferences around the world, including: SD Expo, Java
      One, OOP, OOPSLA. He is the primary author of Design Patterns
      Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented Design and is
      currently co-authoring three other books in the software development
      area. He is a certified Scrum Master and has a Masters in Computer
      Science from M.I.T.

      You must register to attend:
      Although this seminar is free, you must register to attend. Follow
      this link to register:
      http://www.netobjectives.com/events/pr_nca_2004_03_tta.htm

      Date and Times:
      Tuesday, March 16, 2004.

      6:30-7:00 networking and pizza
      7:00-9:00 the talk

      A charitable contribution to the San Francisco Ronald McDonald House
      of $1-3 is requested for food and drink.

      Location:
      DeAnza College, Conference Room B
      21250 Stevens Creek Blvd
      Cupertino, CA 95014
      408.864.5678

      Conference Room B is in the "Campus Center" between the "L Quad" and
      the "Main Quad"

      Parking Permits are $2. Park in Lots A or B. Look for the Green
      Signs to lead you to the parking boxes, which are Big and Yellow,
      and take all U.S. currency.

      Directions to campus: http://www.deanza.edu/map/directions.html
      Campus Map: http://www.deanza.edu/map/
      Parking Info: http://www.deanza.edu/map/parkinginfo.html

      Class notes may not be handed out. Check the seminar website about
      a week before the seminar to get a copy of them on-line.