Re: [XP] Can patterns be harmful?

  • andy_ipaccess
    Message 1 of 107 , Feb 8, 2004
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
      <programminglists@a...> wrote:
      > Andrew McDonagh wrote:
      > > Over the 8 months we have been 'doing' XP I've tried many, many
      times. I've
      > > come to the conclusion that actively trying to steer them is
      > > counter-productive. The resistance increases when I push.
      > >
      > > This year, I've decided to take the hands-off approach. I let
      them do it
      > > anyway they want and leave it fully in their hands. They 'know'
      the
      > > practises and I've explained them fully many times, so its really
      down to
      > > whether they follow them or not.
      >

      > When explaining produces resistance, have you tried asking
      questions?

      > - George

      I have and do.

      Even with my professional background in being a mentor and lead,
      being human I fail too sometimes. This tends tobe dur to annoyance of
      having to describe the practises, their benefits and interactions for
      the n'th time. In these situations I tend to 'tell' rather than
      show. No a good approach, I'd admit.
    • andy_ipaccess
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 8, 2004