RE: [XP] When can patterns be harmful?

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 107 , Feb 2, 2004
      Asim Jalis wrote:

      > Something that has bothered me about patterns:
      >
      > Why do patterns always contain precisely one
      > solution?

      Because a pattern is one cure for a set of diseases,
      not a set of optional cures for just one disease.

      > Why not have several solutions that balance the
      > forces in different ways?

      Because they wrote the book that way; start with the
      solution, then find some problems for it.

      =====
      Phlip

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • andy_ipaccess
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 8, 2004
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
        <programminglists@a...> wrote:
        > Andrew McDonagh wrote:
        > > Over the 8 months we have been 'doing' XP I've tried many, many
        times. I've
        > > come to the conclusion that actively trying to steer them is
        > > counter-productive. The resistance increases when I push.
        > >
        > > This year, I've decided to take the hands-off approach. I let
        them do it
        > > anyway they want and leave it fully in their hands. They 'know'
        the
        > > practises and I've explained them fully many times, so its really
        down to
        > > whether they follow them or not.
        >

        > When explaining produces resistance, have you tried asking
        questions?

        > - George

        I have and do.

        Even with my professional background in being a mentor and lead,
        being human I fail too sometimes. This tends tobe dur to annoyance of
        having to describe the practises, their benefits and interactions for
        the n'th time. In these situations I tend to 'tell' rather than
        show. No a good approach, I'd admit.