Re: [XP] Free XP task/story access database

    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 2, 2004
      On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 11:54:22 PM, yahoo_post@... wrote:

      > I meant to say that I want to collect data about my own times for
      > stories and tasks and such - that I will be doing in the future. I
      > was not looking for a bunch of data about someone else's projects.
      > He he he. Maybe I was not clear about what I was attempting to
      > say. Sorry. :-)

      My mistake, not yours. Sorry ...

      Make it real or else forget about it -- Carlos Santana
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 3, 2004
        yahoo_post@... wrote:

        >>Question: how were you planning to /use/ the data once it's in the
        >>database? I apologize if you've already answered this. If so,
        >
        > point me
        >
        >>to the answer.
        >
        > I was hoping to be able to collect a bunch of stories with estimates
        > and actual times so that I could get better at coming up with
        > estimations for new stories.

        You want historical data to help improve estimates. A spreadsheet makes
        the calculation a little quicker and helps organize the data.

        > That and - I would like to keep notes
        > about questions I need to ask the customer, little things I need to
        > remember to do in order to get the story finished (to do list),
        > notes about the reasons that were given for requesting a story be
        > done (this comes up a lot - I get questions from the users wanting
        > to know why things were requested in the first place – they usually
        > ask this about a year later so I have to dig through my old notes),
        > notes that reference specific emails that contain important
        > information about reasoning, requests or answers to important
        > questions concerning specific functionality. This is the kind of
        > stuff that I have been keeping in my big text file of notes that I
        > have for each project. It is so hard to find things in those. I
        > need a better system for my notes.

        Start with a better filing system, rather than a computer system. A
        computer system is /not/ a better system; it's just a faster system. A
        fast, bad system is worse than a slow, good system.

        > All I have now is a huge to-do
        > list and change log. It is not working out so well.

        How is your database going to be more than a huge to-do list and change log?

        By the way: there's a clue in what you wrote. "Huge." That's the
        problem. What if you put your energy on making your to-do lists smaller?
        (I don't just mean getting things done. Think of other ways to make
        those lists smaller. Be creative.)

        If your to-do list only had five items on it, would you need a database?

        <snip />
        > By the way I ended up going ahead and making a GUI front end for
        > this database. I hope it will help me organize my notes better. I
        > see that my program seems to not fit in well with the whole `light-
        > weight' approach or XP but - I think it is going to be handy. If I
        > find a better system later then that will be great too.

        I like KeyNote, which is freeware and makes it easy to organize text
        into small notes with a tree view of the notes. It's like having a bunch
        of index cards in one place. I notice, though, that I use it from time
        to time, rather than always. For example, I relied on it heavily for
        about four months when I was working on two projects and a book. These
        days, I don't use it much. I don't think I've opened it in a few months now.

        Check it out. It might do 90% of what you need, and it's already written.

        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services