VS: [XP] Can patterns be harmful?

  • lasse.koskela@accenture.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
      > I have a small team (4 programmers), two of them don't know anything
      > about patterns, so when I tell them about
      > refactoring sometimes they just don't know what to do.

      How about *showing* them what to do? I've definitely had some of the biggest revelations so far while pairing with someone. It's still he who needs to do the real work, but you can probably aid a lot by giving hints and acting as his sounding board.
      Another good trick is to a) carry as much literature to work as you can fit on your desk, and b) refer to one of those books while encountering a topic your team member isn't aware of.

      - Lasse -

    • Marco Antonio Márquez Gómez
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
        > How about *showing* them what to do? I've definitely had some of the
        biggest revelations so far while
        > pairing with someone. It's still he who needs to do the real work, but
        you can probably aid a lot by
        > giving hints and acting as his sounding board. Another good trick is
        to a) carry as much literature
        > to work as you can fit on your desk, and b) refer to one of those
        books while encountering a topic your
        > team member isn't aware of.

        > - Lasse -

        Lasse,

        Im recently coaching these guys and I know that it is a slow process to
        get them into a good level of programming and design. I just wanted to
        share an experience highlighting the importance of patterns even you do
        pre-design or not.

        Marco A. Márquez
        Emergys Mexico
        Software Architect
        marcoamg@...
        www.emergys.com.mx
        Tel. 01 (33) 3818-43-21
        Cel. 01 (33) 3700-17-47
      • lasse.koskela@accenture.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
          -- yahoogroups@... wrote:
          > These are both good suggestions, but I have one real nit:
          > who were you responding to? You didn't quote them, and
          > you didn't reply to the message either, so I can't track it
          > back with Yahoo. That's bad netiquette.
          >
          > The reason why I find this important is that I have a rather
          > different answer to the OP's question, and I'd prefer to answer
          > him directly rather than append the response to someone else's
          > response.
          >
          > John Roth

          Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try my best to quote the name as well.
          However, I am almost 100% sure I did reply to the OP's message. I certainly did for this one.

          - Lasse -