RV: [XP] Can patterns be harmful?

  • Marco Antonio Márquez Gómez
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
      I remember a quote from Max Cohen (PI movie):
      "If you graph these numbers, patterns emerge. Therefore: There are
      patterns everywhere in nature".
      I think we can apply same quote into software either you design them or
      not, they will emerge.

      Marco A. Márquez
      Emergys Mexico
      Software Architect
      marcoamg@...
      www.emergys.com.mx
      Tel. 01 (33) 3818-43-21
      Cel. 01 (33) 3700-17-47

      ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        Marco_Antonio_M�rquez_G�mez wrote:

        > I remember a quote from Max Cohen (PI movie):
        > "If you graph these numbers, patterns emerge.
        > Therefore: There are
        > patterns everywhere in nature".
        > I think we can apply same quote into software either
        > you design them or
        > not, they will emerge.

        Nature also contains mountains. Imagine if an ideal
        design were at the top. Various design patterns (or
        candidates for pattern status) form ridges leading up
        to the peak.

        In a hill-climbing algorithm, you walk in a fog, but
        always take the steepest slope. This strategy may lead
        to a local peak that might not be the global one.

        We need practice "lifting the fog", to see the
        patterns nearest our feet, and to see the valleys we
        might need to walk down in, temporarily worsening the
        design, before climbing the higher far slope.

        Patterns alone, without guidance, are harmful. TDD
        alone, without guidance, is raw hill-climbing. In a
        fog.

        =====
        Phlip

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/