RE: [XP] Can patterns be harmful?

  • Marco Antonio Márquez Gómez
    Message 1 of 107 , Feb 2, 2004
      > Actually what I find is that I get closer to that pattern, but that
      then some
      > other forces get strong enough to move me in that direction instead.
      So I don't
      > necessarily ever get to any of the defined locations ... I just get
      code that
      > balances the forces to my satisfaction.

      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > "Some people take everything personally." -- Ron Jeffries
      > "I do not!" -- Ann Anderson

      Either you will code a pattern or not, I think they are necessary
      instead of harmful,
      if there are beginners in your team it is better to know what patterns
      are and how
      they can help to your design. I remember a quote from Max Cohen (PI
      movie):
      "If you graph these numbers, patterns emerge. Therefore: There are
      patterns everywhere in nature".
      I think we can apply same quote into software either you design them or
      not, they will emerge.
      "If you DESIGN these classes, patterns emerge. Therefore: There are
      patterns everywhere in nature".

      Marco A. Márquez
      Emergys Mexico
      Software Architect
      marcoamg@...
      www.emergys.com.mx
      Tel. 01 (33) 3818-43-21
      Cel. 01 (33) 3700-17-47
    • andy_ipaccess
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 8, 2004
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
        <programminglists@a...> wrote:
        > Andrew McDonagh wrote:
        > > Over the 8 months we have been 'doing' XP I've tried many, many
        times. I've
        > > come to the conclusion that actively trying to steer them is
        > > counter-productive. The resistance increases when I push.
        > >
        > > This year, I've decided to take the hands-off approach. I let
        them do it
        > > anyway they want and leave it fully in their hands. They 'know'
        the
        > > practises and I've explained them fully many times, so its really
        down to
        > > whether they follow them or not.
        >

        > When explaining produces resistance, have you tried asking
        questions?

        > - George

        I have and do.

        Even with my professional background in being a mentor and lead,
        being human I fail too sometimes. This tends tobe dur to annoyance of
        having to describe the practises, their benefits and interactions for
        the n'th time. In these situations I tend to 'tell' rather than
        show. No a good approach, I'd admit.