Re: [XP] Can patterns be harmful?

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 107 , Feb 2, 2004
      Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > Actually what I find is that I get closer to that
      > pattern, but that then
      > some other forces get strong enough to move me in
      > that direction instead.
      > So I don't necessarily ever get to any of the
      > defined locations ... I just
      > get code that balances the forces to my
      > satisfaction.

      Josh! Name it /Fishtailing between Patterns/!

      =====
      Phlip

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • andy_ipaccess
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 8, 2004
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
        <programminglists@a...> wrote:
        > Andrew McDonagh wrote:
        > > Over the 8 months we have been 'doing' XP I've tried many, many
        times. I've
        > > come to the conclusion that actively trying to steer them is
        > > counter-productive. The resistance increases when I push.
        > >
        > > This year, I've decided to take the hands-off approach. I let
        them do it
        > > anyway they want and leave it fully in their hands. They 'know'
        the
        > > practises and I've explained them fully many times, so its really
        down to
        > > whether they follow them or not.
        >

        > When explaining produces resistance, have you tried asking
        questions?

        > - George

        I have and do.

        Even with my professional background in being a mentor and lead,
        being human I fail too sometimes. This tends tobe dur to annoyance of
        having to describe the practises, their benefits and interactions for
        the n'th time. In these situations I tend to 'tell' rather than
        show. No a good approach, I'd admit.