Re: [XP] Can patterns be harmful?

    Message 1 of 107 , Feb 2, 2004
      On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 7:27:55 AM, Tim Haughton (OmniBus - Stanford) wrote:

      > A (perhaps) happy medium would be for a master to say 'OK, I'm pretty sure we're going to need a
      > visitor, so we'll head in that direction, but I'll only take the steps towards visitor-dom that I
      > need'. This is also a good technique to use with people who find it hard to operate without BDUF.
      > Let them do the BDUF, but as an exercise, ask them to implement only the tiny bits they need to
      > make the tests pass. So we use the BDUF, but only in incy wincy vertical slices. Hopefully, the
      > BDUF fan will see a simpler product at the end of it.

      Yes. In innumerable exchanges with Josh, I have suggested "refactoring
      /toward/ patterns" rather than "refactoring /to/ patterns".

      Talent determines how fast you get good, not how good you get. -- Richard Gabriel
    • andy_ipaccess
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 8, 2004
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
        <programminglists@a...> wrote:
        > Andrew McDonagh wrote:
        > > Over the 8 months we have been 'doing' XP I've tried many, many
        times. I've
        > > come to the conclusion that actively trying to steer them is
        > > counter-productive. The resistance increases when I push.
        > >
        > > This year, I've decided to take the hands-off approach. I let
        them do it
        > > anyway they want and leave it fully in their hands. They 'know'
        the
        > > practises and I've explained them fully many times, so its really
        down to
        > > whether they follow them or not.
        >

        > When explaining produces resistance, have you tried asking
        questions?

        > - George

        I have and do.

        Even with my professional background in being a mentor and lead,
        being human I fail too sometimes. This tends tobe dur to annoyance of
        having to describe the practises, their benefits and interactions for
        the n'th time. In these situations I tend to 'tell' rather than
        show. No a good approach, I'd admit.