Re: [XP] Can patterns be harmful?

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 107 , Feb 1, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Alan Shalloway"
      <alshall.at.netobjectives.com@...>
      To: "extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 2:24 PM
      Subject: [XP] Can patterns be harmful?

      > I wrote this article a few months ago for the Cutter Consortium. I
      > thought it might be interesting to those in this group who are
      > looking to synthesize the philosophy of YAGNI and XP with the
      > demonstrated value of Design Patterns. It relates what I believe
      > patterns really are (not just reusable design solutions but
      > something more useful). I have heard many people in the XP
      > community rant against patterns but in my opinion, they are ranting
      > against a mis-use of patterns that is unfortunately, fairly common.
      > Perhaps not unlike rants against misunderstood XP practices.

      I'm not sure who you've heard rant against patterns. I
      personally consider that teaching patterns can be quite
      a bad thing before the student has enough actual coding
      experiance with TDD and Simple Design to see some of
      the more common ones pop out of the refactoring, but
      that's simply my opinion.

      Patterns are, after all, common solutions to common
      problems, and it's always useful to ask yourself why
      your solution is different. You might even learn something!

      John Roth
    • andy_ipaccess
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 8, 2004
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
        <programminglists@a...> wrote:
        > Andrew McDonagh wrote:
        > > Over the 8 months we have been 'doing' XP I've tried many, many
        times. I've
        > > come to the conclusion that actively trying to steer them is
        > > counter-productive. The resistance increases when I push.
        > >
        > > This year, I've decided to take the hands-off approach. I let
        them do it
        > > anyway they want and leave it fully in their hands. They 'know'
        the
        > > practises and I've explained them fully many times, so its really
        down to
        > > whether they follow them or not.
        >

        > When explaining produces resistance, have you tried asking
        questions?

        > - George

        I have and do.

        Even with my professional background in being a mentor and lead,
        being human I fail too sometimes. This tends tobe dur to annoyance of
        having to describe the practises, their benefits and interactions for
        the n'th time. In these situations I tend to 'tell' rather than
        show. No a good approach, I'd admit.