Can patterns be harmful?

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 107 , Feb 1, 2004
      I wrote this article a few months ago for the Cutter Consortium. I
      thought it might be interesting to those in this group who are
      looking to synthesize the philosophy of YAGNI and XP with the
      demonstrated value of Design Patterns. It relates what I believe
      patterns really are (not just reusable design solutions but
      something more useful). I have heard many people in the XP
      community rant against patterns but in my opinion, they are ranting
      against a mis-use of patterns that is unfortunately, fairly common.
      Perhaps not unlike rants against misunderstood XP practices.

      You can read this article at
      http://www.netobjectives.com/ezines/ezine_2004_01.pdf

      (an exerpt)

      Can Patterns Be Harmful?

      Let me answer this unequivocally. It depends. Figured out I'm a
      consultant yet? Actually, let me explain. It does depend. It
      depends on what you think patterns are. Many people have a
      misunderstanding of patterns, and for those people, patterns can be
      harmful. However, when people get past their early understanding of
      patterns, and come to comprehend them in a richer way, patterns
      cannot be harmful. This article will explain both views, so I
      think that by the end of it, I will have answered the question
      unequivocally.

      -------------------
      You can post questions/comments about this article on our discussion
      group at http://www.netobjectivesgroups.com/6/ubb.x (look down a
      little for the e-zine section). I do not monitor the
      extremeprogramming user group list enough to guarantee responses
      here.
    • andy_ipaccess
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 8, 2004
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie
        <programminglists@a...> wrote:
        > Andrew McDonagh wrote:
        > > Over the 8 months we have been 'doing' XP I've tried many, many
        times. I've
        > > come to the conclusion that actively trying to steer them is
        > > counter-productive. The resistance increases when I push.
        > >
        > > This year, I've decided to take the hands-off approach. I let
        them do it
        > > anyway they want and leave it fully in their hands. They 'know'
        the
        > > practises and I've explained them fully many times, so its really
        down to
        > > whether they follow them or not.
        >

        > When explaining produces resistance, have you tried asking
        questions?

        > - George

        I have and do.

        Even with my professional background in being a mentor and lead,
        being human I fail too sometimes. This tends tobe dur to annoyance of
        having to describe the practises, their benefits and interactions for
        the n'th time. In these situations I tend to 'tell' rather than
        show. No a good approach, I'd admit.