Re: [XP] Aids to guiding acceptance test definition?

    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 1, 2004
      On Sunday, February 1, 2004, at 12:29:42 PM, Joshua Kerievsky wrote:

      > Amir Kolsky wrote:

      >>I concur with Somik's analysis of the various tests at the various
      >>levels. I was just making a point that although you *could* drive
      >>development directly from story tests, you really shouldn't.
      >>

      > And how many XP projects have led you to this pearl of wisdom?

      Would Sarcasm Objection, or Rudeness Objection be more appropriate here?

      Wisdom begins when we discover the difference between
      "That makes no sense" and "I don't understand". --Mary Doria Russell
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 3, 2004
        Amir Kolsky wrote:

        > ]I don't know why.
        > ]
        > ]Customer Tests are meant to give the customer confidence that the
        > ]features he has requested are present in the product.
        > ]
        > ]Programmer Tests are meant to give the programmer confidence that the
        > ]code he has written does what he intended it to do.
        > ]
        > ]I honestly don't know what there is to debate here.
        > ]--
        > ]J. B. Rainsberger,

        > Not a single word on TDD and Documentation?

        I consider documentation to be pleasant side-effect of automated tests,
        in general. It is easy to write tests that are not good documentation,
        so I don't offer it as a key property of the practice.

        If one writes tests that can act as useful documentation, then so much
        the better. First, I'd like to focus on three key properties

        * PTs force the programmer to use the code they write, driving design
        decisions
        * PTs provide an executable specification, increasing confidence that
        code does the thing right
        * PTs provide a safety net for refactoring
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services