Re: [XP] Aids to guiding acceptance test definition?

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 1 9:29 AM
      Amir Kolsky wrote:

      >I concur with Somik's analysis of the various tests at the various
      >levels. I was just making a point that although you *could* drive
      >development directly from story tests, you really shouldn't.

      And how many XP projects have led you to this pearl of wisdom?

      --
      I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
      Joshua Kerievsky
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 3 11:02 AM
        Amir Kolsky wrote:

        > ]I don't know why.
        > ]
        > ]Customer Tests are meant to give the customer confidence that the
        > ]features he has requested are present in the product.
        > ]
        > ]Programmer Tests are meant to give the programmer confidence that the
        > ]code he has written does what he intended it to do.
        > ]
        > ]I honestly don't know what there is to debate here.
        > ]--
        > ]J. B. Rainsberger,

        > Not a single word on TDD and Documentation?

        I consider documentation to be pleasant side-effect of automated tests,
        in general. It is easy to write tests that are not good documentation,
        so I don't offer it as a key property of the practice.

        If one writes tests that can act as useful documentation, then so much
        the better. First, I'd like to focus on three key properties

        * PTs force the programmer to use the code they write, driving design
        decisions
        * PTs provide an executable specification, increasing confidence that
        code does the thing right
        * PTs provide a safety net for refactoring
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services