Re: [XP] Newbie: Test-first development in a web-based environment

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2004
      On Friday, January 30, 2004, at 03:03 am, vidmas_k wrote:

      > Thanks. That was helpful. We are keeping the business logic and UI
      > separate but I didn't realize that was what we were doing. The
      > business logic is what I'm working on and it seems to be more straight
      > forward with automated testing. How can we automate the testing of the
      > UI?

      As I said before you can use tools like HTTPUnit to drive a website
      like a browser does, and check the result.

      > Is it worth it or is the separation of the two the reason why
      > there isn't much automated/regressive UI testing done.

      I think producing automated tests is worth doing myself. That said, the
      thinner the UI layer the fewer problems you're likely to have. If
      testing the UI layer is expensive their may be a cost-benefit decision
      to be made. I wouldn't like to say it would be worthwhile in all cases.

      On the web site I think there *is* quite a bit of UI testing work being
      done. HTTPUnit seems fairly popular, and in the Perl world I know that
      WWW::Mechanize is used for this all the time. Compared to a client-side
      GUI application they're usually very simple to test since everything
      happens over HTTP in a well defined way.

      Testing is not the sole reason for separating the UI and business
      layer, separation of concerns is nearly always a good idea, but it
      certainly makes testing simpler.

      > The UI is in
      > PHPStep and XML.

      As I said before, I'm not really a PHP person (hmmm... I haven't picked
      this years language to learn... maybe I should pick it :-)

      Adrian