XP and Integration

  • tom jones
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 27, 2004
      hello.
      we are less than 10 developers, we experience trouble while
      integrating because the architect do not want anyone to lock files
      (we are using CVS) while updating code.

      I see in XP that some lock mechanism is needed if we want to
      integrate without problems.
      ((http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules/sequential2.))

      Can I use the argumnets of XP to make him admit the file lock (and
      delock when the update is finished) for every one.
      If yes, which one (of these arguments)?

      Some people say that "the collective code ownership" ((see
      http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules/collective.html)) is contrary
      to code lock (!!). This is not what I understand from collective
      ownership which I see like a mechanism to make everyone aware of
      everything (through rotating people for example), but do not say not
      to lock ... am I wrong ?

      Thank you for your help.
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 3, 2004
        jrb32002 wrote:

        > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "J. B. Rainsberger"
        > <jbrains@r...> wrote:
        >
        >>Doug Swartz wrote:

        >>>Sorry. My wife has never learned to share very well.
        >>
        >>Ron won't adopt me; Doug won't marry me... what the hell am I doing
        >>here?
        >
        > Consoling yourself at a good fishing hole? ;-)
        >
        > At least you've not sunk to answering phone calls about broken
        > cup-holders....

        The importance of having perspective. Thanks.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services