Re: Attitudes towards pairing (Re: [XP] re: XP and MVC)

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
      Steve Bate wrote:

      >>From: J. B. Rainsberger [mailto:jbrains@...]
      >>Indeed! The only reason I don't have a pair on my current project is
      >>that I can't afford it. My customer won't pay for it, and I can't find
      >>anyone effective to work free.
      >
      > I'm curious. Why won't the customer pay for it? Is the total development
      > cost of a pair perceived to be higher than for just yourself?

      Yes. Although my Goal Donor appears to understand Agile quite
      organically, my Gold Owner is a large corporation and not nearly as
      progressive.

      They had a fixed cost/time line in mind and have been very good about
      allowing scope to vary. The fixed cost is barely enough to pay for one
      programmer, let alone two. I took the job because I like the nerdly
      prestige of working in Major League Baseball.
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
        On Thursday, January 1, 2004, at 3:01:26 PM, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

        > Steve Bate wrote:

        >>>From: J. B. Rainsberger [mailto:jbrains@...]
        >>>Indeed! The only reason I don't have a pair on my current project is
        >>>that I can't afford it. My customer won't pay for it, and I can't find
        >>>anyone effective to work free.
        >>
        >> I'm curious. Why won't the customer pay for it? Is the total development
        >> cost of a pair perceived to be higher than for just yourself?

        > Yes. Although my Goal Donor appears to understand Agile quite
        > organically, my Gold Owner is a large corporation and not nearly as
        > progressive.

        > They had a fixed cost/time line in mind and have been very good about
        > allowing scope to vary. The fixed cost is barely enough to pay for one
        > programmer, let alone two. I took the job because I like the nerdly
        > prestige of working in Major League Baseball.

        Well, if what we say is true, two of you could do it better in half the
        time, n'est pas?

        A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest. -- Paul Simon
      • J. B. Rainsberger
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
          Ron Jeffries wrote:

          <snip />
          >>They had a fixed cost/time line in mind and have been very good about
          >>allowing scope to vary. The fixed cost is barely enough to pay for one
          >>programmer, let alone two. I took the job because I like the nerdly
          >>prestige of working in Major League Baseball.
          >
          > Well, if what we say is true, two of you could do it better in half the
          > time, n'est pas?

          Agreed. I suppose there are two possibilities: (1) I didn't have anyone
          handy to work with; (2) I didn't look hard enough for someone to work with.

          I regret that choice now. I'm learning.
          --
          J. B. Rainsberger,
          Diaspar Software Services
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
            On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

            > Indeed! The only reason I don't have a pair on my current project is
            > that I can't afford it. My customer won't pay for it, and I can't find
            > anyone effective to work free.
            >
            > I'm /dying/ for a pair. It would have saved me plenty of irritation on
            > this project, I'm quite certain.

            Maybe you could offer a free or low paying internship. I know as a
            college student I would much rather have been making minimum wage
            programming than flipping burgers. If you get a reasonably bright kid
            you could have them doing good work quickly.

            --
            Without requirements, the program is done now. - Ron Jeffries
          • J. B. Rainsberger
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
              Brian Christopher Robinson wrote:

              > On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
              >
              >>Indeed! The only reason I don't have a pair on my current project is
              >>that I can't afford it. My customer won't pay for it, and I can't find
              >>anyone effective to work free.
              >>
              >>I'm /dying/ for a pair. It would have saved me plenty of irritation on
              >>this project, I'm quite certain.
              >
              > Maybe you could offer a free or low paying internship. I know as a
              > college student I would much rather have been making minimum wage
              > programming than flipping burgers. If you get a reasonably bright kid
              > you could have them doing good work quickly.

              I actually /do/ have access to a college-age student who might be
              interested in participating in an internship. The bad news is that my
              current contract ends 1/9 and no renewal is expected before May.... Just
              bad timing.

              My concern, though, is that I'd like an experienced person with whom to
              pair. There are a few specific aspects of system design on which I need
              some help, and I'm worried that a college student won't necessarily have
              better answers than I already have. Maybe that's just my ego talking; I
              can't be sure.
              --
              J. B. Rainsberger,
              Diaspar Software Services
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
                Just talking your way through the issues, options, considerations, and tradeoffs with somebody new to the problem often reveals better solutions. Your partner does not have to know more than you to contribute.

                > On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
                >
                >>Indeed! The only reason I don't have a pair on my current project is
                >>that I can't afford it. My customer won't pay for it, and I can't find
                >>anyone effective to work free.
                >>
                >>I'm /dying/ for a pair. It would have saved me plenty of irritation on
                >>this project, I'm quite certain.
                >
                > Maybe you could offer a free or low paying internship. I know as a
                > college student I would much rather have been making minimum wage
                > programming than flipping burgers. If you get a reasonably bright kid
                > you could have them doing good work quickly.

                I actually /do/ have access to a college-age student who might be
                interested in participating in an internship. The bad news is that my
                current contract ends 1/9 and no renewal is expected before May.... Just
                bad timing.

                My concern, though, is that I'd like an experienced person with whom to
                pair. There are a few specific aspects of system design on which I need
                some help, and I'm worried that a college student won't necessarily have
                better answers than I already have. Maybe that's just my ego talking; I
                can't be sure.
                --
                J. B. Rainsberger,
                Diaspar Software Services

                ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • J. B. Rainsberger
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
                  Steven Gordon wrote:

                  > Just talking your way through the issues, options, considerations, and tradeoffs with somebody new to the problem often reveals better solutions. Your partner does not have to know more than you to contribute.

                  I both understand and agree. I really almost want to apprentice on a
                  project, just to close some knowledge gaps.
                  --
                  J. B. Rainsberger,
                  Diaspar Software Services
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
                    Hi there,

                    I think you can't understimate talent or knowledge from a college-age
                    student,
                    they are very receptive and creative and he could be a very good pair.

                    Marco A. Márquez
                    Emergys Mexico
                    Software Architect
                    marcoamg@...